Chapter 18

Shanique

"Shanique, how mi ago manage suh much bag?" Mommy ask as I pulled the third suitcase towards her.

I looked around the room and sighed. Mom was at the house because she will be leaving for Barbados in two days. I had packed up all the stuff that I had bought for Gizelle and her mother and it came up to three large suitcases.

My mom has a large suitcase and a carryon for herself so I can see where this may be a lot.

My brother is back in Jamaica for the past week but he will be going back with mommy. I figured he will bring the other two bags.

You can check one and Fabian can check the other two.

"Suh when he brings those two shan, where his things going to go?"

"Mommy him nuh need more than a duffel bag with him two piece a clothes. Hik better try bring the baby stuff them." I say to her

Fabian must can maths up his thing because at the end of the day I bought these things for his child and her mother.

Shawntel is expecting them cause I went through every item with her that I bought and she said was going to wait on what I'm sending so she won't have to buy them.

"They are going" I say with a finality.

I laid out on the bed, feeling pretty exhausted from the past week's activities. Work has been on 100 and I haven't even found time to properly rest.

I'm supposed to be going back to London next week and honestly exhausted jus by the thought

I'm scared of being taken for a joke by those people we employed and I've been up plenty of nights just thinking about it.

I felt the bed dip and then my mother's arms wrapped around me.

"Yuh alright?" Mommy asks me and I paused to think about it.

Apart from being super exhausted from work, I'm really content compared to this time last year.

"Yuh birthday coming up. All of twenty-five enuh Shan. Boy likkle girl yuh just mek mi proud with all that you have achieved." She tells me kissing my cheek.

My smile grew wide as I hugged her back. That's all I really want to hear to be honest. That mommy is proud of me.

"I have?" I ask her in a shy voice.

"Yes Mi wash belly. It's not even with the house and car, cause boy this yah house yah weh unu build up nuh stop yah suh massa, but it's just how yuh carry yuh self with pride and work so hard.

Nuff young girl would a meet a man like Anderson and think them reach. Nah do nothing at all but spend his money. You now come and yuh start work with him and build up him dreams now yuh gone a London." Mommy says proudly.

I smiled at her.

A Anderson tell her them sumn deh enuh. The two dem ever deh pon phone some long time a chat people.

Nuh matter he is doing, as soon as him see mommy calling him drop it to answer her.

"A yuh big friend tell yuh that." I say teasing her.

"Yes a him tell me. My big son" she says with s laugh.

"Fabian waah hear yuh"

"Mi say it in front of him already. Him cya beat mi."

"Oh. Sorry ma'am. When Fabian come mi talk to him bout the bags. Shawntel has to get them and I won't be able to bring them because I'm leaving next week." I explain to her.

"Yes I know miss traveller. A how long yuh a stay this time?" She asks and I raised up

"I don't have a clue. We staying at Anderson's friend's townhouse."

"I guess it will be until everyone has settled in into a routine that works. We have a few projects to execute in the coming months there and in Germany so I guess it will be until we get that done." I explained and mommy was just smiling at me.

"A wah yuh a smile suh fah Miss" I ask with a chuckle.

"Mi just deh here a think Shanique. Mi know yuh father would a proud a yuh." She says just as the tears ran down her eyes.

Instantly I'm triggered and I started to cry too.

"Him would a be proud a the two a unu. That man loved you way before yuh even form out good and mi sorry him nuh deh here fi see him little twin. Boy Shan yuh nuh tek nothing for me. Same way him skin red and him head big." She says and we both choked out a laugh.

"I'm sure he is seeing what we have made of ourselves." I whisper and gripped my hand and nod.

"Him a protect yuh man." She tells me and k smiled.

"Do you think he would have like Anderson?" I asked her.

She stop as if she was thinking about it before she spoke again.

"Anderson treats you so good Shanique. Him attentive and him nuh behave stuck up like them other rich kids weh mi know. I don't think he would envision anybody else for you." She whispered and I gave her a tight hug.

For her to confirm that daddy would love Anderson gave me some relief that I didn't know I needed.

I never met him and mom has very few pictures him that she treasured a lot over the years. I wanted some validation.

"Shan I want to talk to you about something." My mom says after we both pulled apart from the hug.

I looked at her sideways because her voice was solemn and I was high key scared to hear exactly what she wanted to say.

"Talk to me about what?" I ask, plopping back down on the bed.

I had strategically put mommy in the downstairs bedroom because me and Anderson be really going at it

Fabian has been staying here as well but he has taken up residence in my half a million couch. Mi tired fi tell him fi stop sleep out my couch but he has been ignoring me.

Might mek him buy it back if I see any lump and dips in it.

"Anderson is concerned Shan." She says wringing her hands in her lap.

I looked over at her puzzled because what the fuck could my husband be worried about.

"About what?" I asked, a bit on the cautionary side.

She looked at me and held eye contact for awhile. Her stare was intense and suddenly
I was transported back to my primary school days when she would just stare at me when I got in trouble and that would be enough yo make me cry and be remorse.

"Shan what if this thing doesn't work?" She asks and I got up hissing my teeth

"A who yuh a hiss teeth at Shanique? A nuh mi" she asks getting upset.

I was not in the mood to entertain her right now and this conversation.

"Mommy just please come out a mi business and let me do what I want. Anderson had no right to come tell yuh that." I fired at her.

She scoffed looking at me in disbelief.

"He has every right to tell me. I'm your mother and the person who you run to anytime things are going bad. I have to know so I can be prepared to either celebrate with you or hold you while you cry your eyes out Shanique!" She says and I turned my back.

"What goes on in my marriage is nobody's business." I say but I regret it the very moment I did.

The room went silent.

"Is that how you feel?

I nod.

"Okay."