Chapter 14

Shanique

Dan was up to something.

He has been on his phone all week making plans that had nothing to do with Cryptic London. He was being secretive about it and I knew it had something to do with me.

I pretended to not notice him trying to subtly influence my outfit choice for work this morning and offering to drop me off and come pick me up later.

I just went about it like I was clueless.

Around noon I got a lunch delivery from one of my favorite restaurants, which had a serving of BBQ glazed pork ribs with mashed potatoes, fried green plantains and a Tropical Rhythm.

If lunch wasn't an indication, the dead giveaway was him offering to keep Skeng this morning.

I can tell that we will not be heading straight home after work.

Despite the element of surprise no longer being there, I still have zero clue as to what he was up to. All day long I have been pressuring my brain, trying to figure out what the actual plan was.

I haven't been able to focus fully and Andrea kept giving me side glances throughout our meetings.

Honestly, mi well waah the day done so him can come for me.

I was growing impatient around 3pm and it was only the Grace of God, why I haven't texted him to tell him that I was ready.

I can't afford to spoil the surprise. He is probably putting the final touches to the plans right now.

Instead, I chose to focus on some actual work. He had shared a few files with me regarding
London that I need to browse over. We are leaving in two weeks time to meet the first set of employees there and I must admit that I'm nervous.

A number of the candidates that Dan interviewed had a number of experience in the field. Way more experience than I have and I am ashamed to say that I'm a bit intimidated by this.

Will they respect me as a boss, knowing that I'm only two years in? I feel like an imposter.

However, I can't let that stop me from doing what I need to do because I have a lot to prove to myself and I need to make my husband proud.

I was deep into the document when I call came in from Andrea's line.

"Hello?" I picked up.

"Hi Shan, Mr. Grant is hear to see you...?" She says sounding a bit uncertain.

Why Dan have Andrea a ring me? This nuh mek no sense.

"Umm, okay" I say, confused myself.

"He can come?" She asked

Then the two a dem a mad.

"I don't see why not." I responded, with a bit of uncertainty.

A few seconds later there was a knock on my office door.

"Come in" I say irritated.