Chapter 34

Anderson Grant

Walking into the office I screwed my face up.

Never waah come back a this bumboclaat place. Nevertheless, I can't stray too far from the fold.

Man born fi this.

Looking around the lobby, I observe everyone.

People were walking around leisurely, at 8:30 am. Everything seemed so relaxed and I know that's not the case.

Pops a lose him touch it seem like.

I approached the private elevator that should take me up to his office. I didn't check if he was in yet, no one knew that I was coming in today. I wanted to get a feel of what exactly I will be coming into.

Getting to his office I realized that he wasn't here.

His door was open though and his secretary was missing. She ago get fired as soon as I take over.

Entering my dads office I grew nostalgic. 15 years ago I walked into this very office and my life changed.

Flashback

"Andy, me ago talk to you one time and one time only. In life, you will always be presented with a choice. Whatever the circumstances may be, there is always a choice for you to make.

As a man, I can't make any choice for you but as your dad, I will always be here to guide you. You get what I'm saying?" Pops asked from behind his large mahogany desk.

It shone brightly and I could see our reflections from it. His was of a strong leader and mine was a frail, scared looking teenager.

"Yuh understand weh mi a seh to you Anderson?" He repeated himself with a bit more bass

He doesn't like to repeat himself.

"Yeah," was my croaked out answer.

"Wah yuh understand seh?" His eyes bore into mine

"I understand that, I am responsible for the choices I make." I say.

Pops nodded at me and then leaned back in his chair.

"Now I'm presenting you with two choices Anderson. Become a problematic delinquent or a valuable member of society."

I stared at him not saying anything as I mulled over my options.

I knew what he wanted from me, but I was more concerned with what it would take for me to become that.
———————

I was hours deep into my dads files when the door to his office was pushed open. I looked up and made eye contact with an older version of myself.

The man himself.

Putting down the paperwork that I was reading through, I stood up and greeted him.

"Mr. Grant..." I say while stretching out my hand for a hand shake.

My dad screwed up his face while looking at my hand.

"A wah that?" He asked, walking around the desk.

"If you don't hug me boy." He says just before pulling me into him.

I was captured in a tight embrace and I had no choice but to hug him back.

"I'm happy you're here." He whispered

Dah man yah a try guilt trip me.

Pulling away from the hug I attempted to walk around the desk. Pops stopped me.