Chapter Eight: A Fool's Shopping Trip

As Saiki relaxed next to you, the realization of things began to set in.

"Oh god, is he okay? I'm pretty sure he's asleep. What do I do? Do I get up? No, he's comfortable, I think. What do I do? Do I wake him up or-" He cut you off, making you jump.

"I just need you to relax."

"FUCK!" You felt your whole body jump with panic.

Saiki laughed at your "charming" panic.

"Don't do that!" You chuckled.

"Why not? You look cute when you're scared."

"Thanks?" You didn't know if that was a compliment or a hint at sadism. You were beginning to get confused about how such a reserved boy was already so attached to you.

"You should get some rest. You're too worried all the time."

"I know I'm worried, I feel like I'm forgetting something!" You groaned, thinking of the different things that you could have possibly forgotten. "I don't have a job...I think..."

"Earlier, you said you had to run to the store," Saiki stated, recalling this morning when he gracefully walked you to school.

"Oh right!" You quickly hopped up and began gathering your wallet and your bag.

"Let me go with you." Saiki stood up.

"Are you sure? I'll only be gone for, like, ten minutes." He vigorously nodded as the thought of being alone without you crossed his mind.

It was somewhat horrifying how you made him feel so...infatuated. He had just met you days before...

"Alright, let's go." Saiki was suddenly behind you, placing both of his hands on your shoulders, urging you to leave your building. You jumped at his sudden entrance which made him chuckle. "You're so jumpy all the time."

"Y-yeah, I guess I am..." You trailed off, thinking about something...unrelated...

"Alright, let's go." Saiki grabbed your hand and lead you out the door and down the stairs, exactly how he did this morning

"What do you need from the store anyway?" Saiki asked, guiding you through crowds of people.

"Just some food and milk...maybe snacks..." Your sentence trailed off as you realized you had no idea where you were going. "Wait, which store are we going to?"

"The grocery store. Obviously."

"You know the way?"

"Yes. I've lived here my whole life, genius."

"Hey! I've only been here for, like, 2 weeks! It's not my fault!"

He chuckled and rubbed his thumb across your knuckles, lightly comforting you.

"Okay, okay. On a different note, do you want to stop for coffee jelly? There's a stand right there for some."

He smiled warmly at you.

"Sure...I guess."

You didn't understand why Saiki was treating you as if you were his girlfriend but you weren't about to complain. Besides, Saiki was nice, kind... attractive...

"I'm still here, Y/n." Saiki lightly tugged on your hand.

"I know, I know!" You laughed it off awkwardly.

Saiki guided you to the short line of people waiting for coffee jelly.

"They have couples deluxe." He stated. "Order it for us."

"What's the magic word?" You grinned cheekily.

"No."

"Alright, fine." You looked at the cashier and ordered the couple's deluxe.

"Okay, your order will be out in a moment." You nodded and Saiki guided you to pick it up.

"Thanks, have a good day!" The man smiled as you handed him money.

Saiki took the jelly and spoon and sat down on a bench, urging you to do the same. You sat next to him and stretched out your legs, staring at the cloudy blue sky.

People swarmed around the sidewalk, carrying on with their busy days. Your mind began to race, "I wonder if he's on trial right now..." You quickly took your phone out and checked the date.

"Who's on trial?" Saiki hummed as he held a spoonful to your lips like last time. You gave him a defeated sigh as you ate the jelly.

"No one important."

Saiki raised an eyebrow suspiciously but eventually let it go.

Meanwhile, your eyes began to trail over to Saiki. You saw a small smile creep on his face as he calmly enjoyed the coffee jelly.

The plain black spoon still had some of your saliva on it, making you think about how that was technically an indirect kiss but the two of you were friends and friends share things all the time with each other.

Your mind trailed off again, thinking about what you needed from the store.

***

What was in this coffee jelly?

Was it magical?

No...if anything was magic, it was you.

As soon as he had taken a bite of that coffee jelly from the same spoon as you, that was it.

It was like the final nail in the coffin.

The one that sealed your fate.