Chapter Sixty: A Foolish Date

While you both walked on the sidewalk, neither of you said a word. The streets were already loud enough. Cars honked in the distance and people hurried along on their way, each alone in their own worlds.

"What about right there?" Kusuo gently spoke, gesturing to a familiar location. You shrugged, not really caring in the slightest. It didn't matter to you. 

"Sure, whatever you want, man." 

"Don't call me that. Can't you call me something cuter? You sound like a frat boy."

With a heavy sigh, you rolled your eyes.

"Fine, what do you want?" 

Kusuo sneakily slipped his hand in your own and pulled you towards the little shop.

"Dunno, never really thought too hard about it." That was a complete lie. However, most of his thoughts about a nickname were an abomination. You were just lucky enough to be called 'dear' as well.

"Don't tell me to change something and then not tell me what to change it to." You rolled your eyes while the bell on the door rang cheerfully. 

There was an elderly woman behind the counter with wrinkles plastered over her face and her smile widened upon seeing the pink-haired male.

"Ah," She said in a grail, shakey voice. "My best customer....the usual?"

Kusuo silently nodded.

"I see you brought a friend this time. I hope she is not like that one glitter girl." The frail woman let out a dry laugh and turned away.

You let go of Kusuo's hand and trailed to an empty booth seat. The red cushions were worn in color and had holes showing the yellow styrofoam underneath. It seemed like the place was frozen in time, back when people could get 25-cent burgers and World War Two had just begun. We don't talk about Japan during World War Two, however.

 Tossing yourself in the corner, you looked out the stained glass windows and saw people hurrying on with their lives, paying no mind to the little cafe they were all passing. You began to daydream like you previously did except, this time, it was more realistic. 

'Would Kusuo still be friends with you after the medicine?' Was what the said daydream surrounded. Thinking of the worst-case scenario, you'd be there with Kusuo and, as soon as you took it, the love would fade from his eyes. He'd be disgusted with you and, maybe even hate you. Both of you would go back to his house and he'd take you into the basement and- BAM! Life ended.

"Hey," He calmly said, sitting in front of you. Kusuo sighed before talking again, "You really don't believe me, do you?" 

You were silent for a moment, thinking carefully about your response.

"Well, why should I believe you?" 

He said nothing but turned to face you, resting his head on his hand. His eyes were full of the love he claimed to have for you, but your own eyes were filled with doubt. 

"Here you go." The woman appeared out of nowhere.

Kusuo gave her a polite head nod which she quickly returned.