Chapter Thirty-Nine: A Short-Lived Fight with a Long-Term Feeling

"Sometimes I don't even know if you're playing dumb or you genuinely are a fool."

"I'm not talking about this anymore." You took a utensil and began picking at your food. "...it's just because we're friends...I don't want to give you the wrong idea or anything..."

"Y/N," Kusuo turned to you, "I'm sorry."

"For what? I just apologized for kissing you and then you got all...worried? I-I don't know man, I gotta deal with a lot right now..."

"Hey, Y/N, sorry to bring this up again, but are you being serious about being 'friends' with Kusuo?" Aiura, emphasizing her point, made physical air quotes around her words.

"Why wouldn't we be friends? I know we act like a fighting couple or whatever, but I still care about him."

You continued to eat, still confused about how the fight began.

***

"I genuinely think she's that dense, Aiura." Kusuo secretly spoke to the fellow psychic.

"Me as well. Do you think it has something to do with her...powers?" The green-haired girl raised an eyebrow.

"I guess...I feel like Teruhashi would know more. Maybe they're similar?"

"Holy shit, you're right! Maybe that's why you're in love with her!"

"N-no! I love her because...she's perfect."

"So maybe her 'powers' just multiply love instead of making it."

"I...I don't want to believe you. I'm different from Vincent! I love her for her! Not because of some stupid...power."

"Alright, pal..." Airua gave her best comforting eyes and turned back to her food.

***

"Are you ready for the bill?"

"Uh, yeah. I'll be paying for everyone."

The kind-looking waiter handed you a thick checkbook and calmly waited for you to take out your wallet.

"How much is it, Y/N?" Aiura asked, peeking up.

"48,836.39 yen so like...360 dollars." Shrugging calmly, you took the needed cash out of your wallet and gave the waiter 2,720 yen which was about 20 dollars in your currency.

Airua's jaw dropped as you handed the bill back.

"M'Kay, let's go." Standing up, the three others followed your sudden leadership, gathering their few leftovers.

***

"Here's my house, by the way. Pretty sure you've never been here." Tossing your leftovers into your fridge, Nendo fell onto the couch.

"Y/N, can you...come with me?"

"Sure, uh, remotes on the couch, help yourself and shit."

He took your hand and guided you into your bathroom.

"What did you need?" Sitting on the rim of your tub, you couldn't help but get the feeling of rising anxiety. Something bad was about to happen.

"Okay, look." Kusuo quickly locked the door and turned to you. "I'm only going to ask you once and that's it."

He fell beside you and softly placed his hand on your thigh.

"Do you love me?"

"I-Yeah? You're a great friend." Your voice cracked, praying to god that he meant what you thought he did.

He blankly stared at you, slowly getting closer. The pink tint on Kusuo's cheeks gradually got closer while you rolled your eyes.

You were cringing at his failed attempt to slowly kiss you so you just decided to end the poor boys suffering.

Leaning in, you pressed your hand against his head and, well, kissed him. Kusuo's hand gripped your thigh while your face was slightly more red than usual.

"Hey! Kusuo! Teruhashi's here to talk to you! Hope you don't mind Y/N!"

For the first time, Kusuo broke the kiss off.

"I-Uhm...we can do this later right?" You asked, stuttering like he once did.

"Y-yeah! Of course!" He smiled and swung open the door, greeting Teruhashi. Kusuo closed the door behind himself and you were left alone in the bathroom. The only other sound that accompanied your breathing was the sound of the repetitive water, dripping from your leaky faucet.

"...shit. Am I?" You stood up and stared at your face in the mirror. Just relaxing, your face was bright red with embarrassment guiding your smile. "I'm falling for him. Wonderful."

Immediately, your smile faded. You knew this wouldn't be good. You remember your disgusting, shameful powers.

This feeling. Of relief. Of safety.

It was the same one you had with Vincent.

***

"Teruhashi. We need to talk to you about Y/N."

"Hm? Oh, yeah, like about her powers right?" The blue-haired girl looked through your leftovers and ate some.

"What?! How'd you know?!" Airua made an extremely exaggerated shocked face.

"Well, I mean, something is off about her. If Kusuo fell in love with her, she's special in some kind of way," Teruhashi closed the styrofoam box and set it back into the fridge, continuing to pick through different things. "My prediction is she has attraction powers and she multiples the feelings of love into such a violent way, the people around her that have been affected become obsessed and-"

"That's exactly what we were thinking but, uh, n-not the obsessed part."

"Actually, I agree with Teruhashi. Y/Ns ex-boyfriend was crazy so maybe he was affected by it."

Kusuo felt his heart pound in his chest. They were extremely close to figuring out-

"Maybe that's why Kusuo has a shit ton of photos of her," Teruhashi commented.

"I do not! What are you even talking about?!"

"...we aren't stupid." Aiura held up the male's phone, swiping through his gallery.

"No, no, don't!" He quickly snatched the phone back, noticing that she was extremely close to the shower photos he had of you. "Everyone has photos of their friends!"

"Down bad, huh?" Aiura teased. "Should we help, Teruhashi?"

"I think we should help, Airua."

Both girls let out a concerned smirk as they faced the male. Nendo, still on the couch, trailed over into the plan, offering his suggestions to it.

And so, the plan was formed with barely any comment from Kusuo.