Chapter 2

Luke's POV

I watched her in the rearview mirror as I left. She was stunning like a living version of Snow White and that accent. When I'd seen her at the club last night I was worried she was one of the girls we were trying to save, but luckily, she was just a college student blowing off steam. I'd been out here almost four months working with an academy team on a prostitution ring. They were luring in young girls desperate for cash and then hooking them on drugs to keep them working. It was a fucked up situation and I really hated the mission, but at least I felt like I was making a difference.

Looking back, the last three years had been a revelation not just for me, but for all the team. We were so young when the Ashley Waters job finished and we dated Sang. Sure it was great, and it actually worked for a long time, but with age comes wisdom. Sang became her own person and needed to be independent. We were too protective and still thought of her as that vulnerable teenager. When she decided to leave South Carolina for college, it slowly fell apart. At first, some were angry, but after a while, we were all able to sit down with her and realized we had all grown apart.

She's living in Boston now with her husband and three kids. She ended up going to law school and never joined the Academy. I think she secretly held a grudge that they allowed her to stay in that abusive household for so long. If I'm honest, looking back now, I don't understand why they allowed it either. She was so young. But again, with age comes perspective. I'm not the kid I was back then. At the ripe old age of 28, I've lived far more than most, but I also have a deep appreciation for my family and friends. As time passed, most of us started dating casually. I've been on dates, but no real relationships, well unless you count the fact that Gabe and I finally admitted we were attracted to each other, but we've never made it an actual relationship. I think Owen's the only one who has really attempted a full-time relationship, but that fizzled out just before I left Charleston. Being in the Academy and having a relationship is hard. Secrets are deadly to any relationship.

I think that's why Nimue caught my attention. Even drunk at the club, she was very open. Not like oversharing openly, but honest. When a guy tried hitting on her she shut him down quickly. I about spit out my drink when she told him he was a simple-minded troll who couldn't carry on a conversation, let alone entertain her in bed. When Jackson took off with her friend, I just had to take her home with me. I wasn't about to leave her alone in that club of all places. All it would take was one jerk to drug her drink.

She had surprised me when she started stripping in the hotel room. Then again, I'm not even sure she realized I was in the room with her. She kept mumbling and just dropping her clothes until she reached the bed and fell into it. I didn't want her to freak out, so I put one of my shirts on her and took the couch. I'm so glad I came out of the shower when I did this morning. Five minutes later, she'd have disappeared from me forever.

I pulled into the Academy headquarters and quickly sent her a text. Hey, it's me, Luke. Hope you have a great day at work, little one. Let me know if you're free for lunch tomorrow, or maybe ice cream.

Hitting the send button, I quickly got a response. Ice cream! You are speaking my love language now ~ Nimue

I laughed as I read the response. She was adorable without even trying. I really want to get to know her better. I replied back, Then I shall speak to thee of love and frozen dairy treats at two o'clock tomorrow. I'll pick you up.

Great! We'll keep the conversation sweet and avoid the rocky roads, LOL! She responded quickly and I gave another laugh. Not only was she pretty, but she was also sharp-witted as well.

I walked into Academy headquarters with a silly grin on my face and Jackson gave me a slap on the back. "Looks like I'm not the only one who got lucky last night, man," he said. I just rolled my eyes at him. "What? You seemed fairly friendly with the dark-haired gal," he smirked.