Chapter 73

Chapter 73: Corey's POV

I followed the woman as she led me to a reed marsh and then turned me around to face her. "Oh you poor pathetic fool," she sneered. "Remove your shirt." I did as she asked, letting it drop to the ground. She reached up and pressed her hand against my skin. "Bain an bloc, mallacht dó le fírinne a ghníomhartha. (Remove the block, curse him with the truth of his actions.)" I stumbled backward, feeling like all the air had been sucked out of my lungs as flashes of the past weeks flooded my mind. I cried out, grabbing my head as I fell to my knees.

"What did you do to me?" I yelled at her, only now realizing it was Nimue's aunt Delilah.

She laughed, "Oh, I did nothing. On the other hand, you and Mara did plenty. Search those memories now, Reed-called. Let the guilt of your own actions drown you. And if that isn't enough, know that you are damned no matter what - Ossory."

My head shot up. I knew that word - why do I know that word?

"Wolf cursed Dark Fae. You will always be an outcast, but now you are also a betrayer. She is lost now, and you delivered her to us just like a good little doggie." Delilah cackled and then turned, vanishing after just a few steps.

I cradled my head in my hands as memories flooded so quickly that I couldn't stop them. I saw Mara entering the room, her hands all over my body as her fangs sank into my neck. She filled my mind with hollow fears as our blood and cum covered the sheets. I watched as she tainted the blood Sean gave, pushing Nimue further into the soul chamber, but couldn't speak out. So many little things she did to sabotage us, to misdirect us, and all the time my voice was silent, stolen along with my free will. The closest I came to breaking her hold was the night we all had sex. Even when I tried to tell her, it came across as shy, not spelled, and no one noticed, not even Raven.

I saw the face of the soldier I'd killed that day on the battlefield. He was one of ours and had caught me with Mara. She convinced me that he was a threat to Nimue, so I'd slit his throat, then tossed him to the demons, hiding my deed. But my fate was already sealed. Two nights later I'd shifted for the first time, unable to stop the cracking of my bones, afraid my screams would wake the palace. I'd run as far as I could, ashamed of myself. Again, Mara had found me, placating me with drink and affection. I'd never realized just how much her blood and the Oilliphéist venom had influenced me, but now there was nothing clouding my mind. Nothing to save me from the soul-ripping guilt that consumed me.

"You can let go when you're ready, shifter," Mara had told me that first night of my shift. "An Ossery wolf is different. They can reject their humanity and fully become a wolf - no more guilt, no shame, no memories, just natural instincts like a normal animal."

She knew I'd hate myself. She knew I wouldn't be able to live with what I'd done. She had given me a way out. Now I just needed to wait until nightfall to shift for the last time.

Author's Notes:  I feel so bad for Corey.  I've known from the moment I started the book that he was the unwilling betrayer, and Mara was the willing one.    Don't give up on him yet, my lovelies!