Chapter 64

Nimue's POV

I think Gabe's nickname for me should have been Sleeping Beauty since I seem to be sleeping through most of my pregnancy. When Luke and I teleported onto the battlefield, I didn't even hesitate to shield Gabe and Jax. Seeing Jax on the ground, not moving terrified me, but it also infuriated me. How dare these creatures harm those I love? When I felt the demon's nails pierce my skin it was like time began to slow. I felt the venom work into me, pulling me down like an iron blanket. That's when I heard Victor's voice.

"Melody, babygirl, I need you to listen to me,'' he said softly and I could feel his arms around me, even if I couldn't see him. " I've pulled most of the poison from you, and put a shield around the babies, but I'm too weak right now. I'm sorry, I can't wake you yet." I could feel the waves of guilt flowing off of him, but also the exhaustion.

"Shh, anamchara, don't apologize. It will be okay," I tried to reassure him. "Take time to heal yourself."

I felt his lips ghost against my forehead, "I have placed you and Jax here for now. I haven't been able to wake him even here, but he's not dead, I promise. I'll come back soon, Melody. I love you," he whispered and I felt him fade.

I focused my thoughts, remembering the grove that Luke and I had just left. I needed to channel that magic now, to create. My eyes slowly opened to reveal a small clearing similar to one near the Isle. I saw Jax's unmoving body lying on a stone table and immediately went toward him. His face was uncharacteristically pale and I couldn't see him breathing. I did my best to shove down my fear, remembering that Victor had said he wasn't dead. Brushing my fingers across his forehead, I sensed his spirit. It was weak and far too still for my liking, but it was there.

"Sugar?" I jolted and spun around to see an exhausted and very surprised Sean standing before me.

"Sean? What are you doing here - did you get hurt too?" I asked in confusion.

He tilted his head, then looked around, "Where, what...no never mind, are you okay?" I nodded and explained what Victor had said. He listened carefully and asked what seemed like an endless amount of questions before I finally interrupted him.

"So how are you here?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I'm not sure. I think I fell asleep in the healing room. Maybe Victor put you in a dream and if we are asleep, we can see you. Leave it to Victor to think up something so comically romantic." He smirked, "Hmmm, I wonder?" Before I could ask what he was thinking, he pulled me to him, his lips capturing mine. I couldn't help the moan that escaped me. His green eyes danced when he pulled back and mused, "Interesting. I think I need to tell the others. Um, can you pinch me and wake me up?" I giggled and pinched his butt. He yelped and faded from the clearing.

I decided I'd explore my little dream bubble and see if I had any control here. I had wandered closer to the lake, running my hands in the water when I felt his arms slip around my waist. "We have to fucking quit meeting like this, Snow," Gabe's baritone voice rumbled against my ear. All my worry and fear hit me at once, and I spun around, wrapping my arms around his neck, and sobbed. He stroked my hair and whispered reassurances to me as I cried harder. "Hey, love, it's okay," he cooed softly, "I'm here, Nimue, and everyone is with you in the healing room. We will figure this out." I know he was trying to comfort me, but it made me cry more. He pulled me down to the grass, cradling me in his lap, arms still wrapped around me. "Snow, fuck, please don't cry. I can't do tears, fuck, talk to me."

I rubbed my eyes, and sniffled, "Wh...why does this k...keep happening t...to us, to me?" I whined.

Gabe let out a long sigh, "I don't know, but I'm guessing the other side is trying to fucking keep you from the descendant. And now that you and Luke have completed your connection to the land, it makes sense that they are on the damned defensive." He shifted until he could lift my chin and said in a dark tone, "I need to tell you something, but please don't panic." Really? Why do people do that? Telling me not to panic, makes me panic. I'm fairly certain he realized his mistake by the look on my face and he quickly explained. "Marc thinks Balor was behind the attack today, not your bitch of an aunt."