Chapter 71

Chapter 71: Multiple POVs

Luke's POV

Nate wore his emotions on his face the entire day and evening. He still couldn't believe he was Arthur's descendant and he still wasn't trusting Victor or Jax. I was concerned about the rift it seemed to have created among all of us. I watched as they all paid attention to her and him both. "Penny for your thoughts, pretty boy," Gabe said as he planted a soft kiss on my brow.

"I'm not sure, love. I'm worried about how this all plays out now that we know who Nate is. I'm also worried about Nimue."

"Well I understand your first concern, but why Nimue?" he asked, sipping his wine.

"Don't you remember the message Jax said the trees were whispering when he sent the slaugh to warn us? "The court assembles, but the betrayer still hides. Heed the call, my Lady. He is coming." I think we are the court - the fourteen of us, but if that's the case, then we haven't figured out who the betrayer is yet. She's still in danger."

He rubbed his face, mumbling a string of curses, "Well is the "he" they spoke of Nate, or could it be Balor?"

Looking around the room, I answered truthfully, "I have no idea. All I know is that the warning hasn't passed and North still hasn't been able to see all of his vision - and that worries me. We can't protect her from what we can't see coming." I grabbed his hand, squeezing softly, "Yet there's still something else, nagging at the back of my mind. That day in the grove when she took her vows, the tethers connected to her, not Nate."

"But doesn't that make sense, she connects us all together," Gabe said.

I frowned, trying to remember exactly what I had seen. "Yes, but," I stammered as the vision blurred in my mind, "There were so many tendrils - some bright, some weak. If I could just see it again, maybe I'd have our answers." I groaned. I was so frustrated.

Gabe reached out and stroked my cheek, "Pretty boy, we aren't always meant to see or know. Like Snow said, it all happens for a reason. We just have to trust that no matter what the Wheel throws our way, we will be okay." I gave him a weak smile, praying he was right and looked across the room. She was sitting in Nate's lap, a content smile across her face as she leaned into his chest. He looked happier than I'd seen in years as he rubbed her leg while she talked.

Several fairies were floating around the room, setting up tables and preparing to serve dinner. I noticed Mara hovering at the edge of the room, watching Nimue, but keeping her distance. She briefly looked up and met my gaze, smirked, and then left quickly. What was that all about? Gabe pulled my hand, "Come on, let's go join the others. I think we need a night of celebration."

I laughed and stood, pulling him into my arms. I loved the way he moaned when I pressed my tongue into his mouth. His cheeks were flushed when our kiss broke. "I love you so fucking much, pretty boy," he said breathlessly.

I put a kiss on his nose and chuckled, "I love you too, Gabe. Thanks for not giving up on us." We intertwined our hands and headed closer to our family.

Mature Content Warning: M/F, M/M

"About time you two joined us," North said with a grin. He'd walked over and pulled Nimue into his lap and was currently teasing her with a pastry.

"Luke, he's teasing me," she pouted, her bottom lip jutting out. Gods I wanted to nibble on that lip. North turned to deny it, and she took advantage by putting the entire treat in her mouth, her lips even engulfing his fingers. She batted her eyelashes as she let his fingers slide from her mouth with a sucking sound.