Chapter 11

Luke's POV

After what seemed like the longest, most emotional week of my life, I arrived in London. Nimue had gotten the details sorted with her new job thanks to Owen and Kota. Turned out it was just a low-level manager trying to take advantage of what he thought was a naive young college graduate. She was now holding sessions full-time each week and loving it. I'd made contact with the London branch of the Academy, but decided to cash in some favors for an extended leave. I'd gotten a part-time job working in a small bakery as a pastry chef. I liked the hours since I was home when Nimue was home. Overall, we were settling in well. She'd even planned a getaway to Devon. She said Jax would be meeting us there.

"Hey, can you grab a few snacks to take with us," she asked, handing me an insulated bag. "Make sure to add plenty of crisps. Jax gets grouchy without them"

I laughed at the face she made. I'd met Jax here in the city shortly after I had arrived. He was a very dynamic personality and worshiped the ground Nimue walked on. He was a more flamboyant version of Gabe. Oh stars, I don't think the universe could handle those two in the same place at the same time.

"Luke, Luke, are you okay?" she asked.

I shook my head, "Uh, yeah, why?"

"I've been talking to you and you were spaced out," she giggled.

"Sorry," I grinned, "I just had this scary thought of Jax and Gabe in the same place at the same time. I'm not sure the planet would survive it."

She wrapped her arms around my neck, "You miss him, don't you?"

"Of course, I mean he's family," I said, shrugging.

"Don't do that," she snapped. "Don't deflect how you feel about him because you think I'm going to freak out or be jealous. Believe it or not, Luke, I get it. He's the first one you mention when you talk about back home. He's the one you think of at random times." She cupped my face in her hands, "Just because you love him, doesn't mean you love me any less."

"How the fuck did I get so lucky?" I asked, kissing her quickly. "You really are one of a kind, little one."

"Yeah, just keep that in mind today, please," she murmured as we packed and headed for the train.

****

When we reached Devon, she walked us to a giant field of flowers. There was a slight chill in the air as we placed a blanket on the ground. She motioned for me to sit down. She was fidgeting nervously, then spoke. "I need to tell you more about me now. I'm sorry I've waited so long to tell you about my family and about other things, but I hope after today you'll understand that the secrets I've kept aren't mine alone to keep." Now I was getting nervous. What secrets was she talking about?

I watched as she placed a small cloth on the ground in front of our blanket. She then placed several items on the cloth such as drinks, food, and the crisps. Nimue then took hold of my hands. "You know my parents died when I was just seven and that I have a fairly large inheritance." I nodded in agreement. "What you don't know is my family history. My last name is fake. I don't actually have a last name. I am a descendant of the original Lady of the Lake from the time of Camelot and King Arthur. Our family line is the keeper of Excalibur, guardians of Avalon the Isle of Mists, and protectors of the Fae realm." She held my gaze, never wavering. "I know it's hard to believe, but I'm telling you the truth, Luke. I brought you here today to see part of my world. Jax, would you say hello?"

I looked around but didn't see him.

"Down here, Luke," Jax said. I looked down at the cloth she had laid out and saw a small winged creature that looked like a doll version of Jax. He waived his crisp at me and grinned. "Keep staring, big guy, I know I'm a hottie," he joked.