Chapter 78

Nimue's POV

It was like cotton had been wrapped around my senses when Nate kissed me and pulled me from the cabin. When Addanc restored my memory, I cracked. I remembered everything...even the things I wished I could forget.

Luke and Gabe cradled me as I cried, retelling the events that happened in the cabin. I couldn't bear the thought of sharing it with everyone right now. I was so ashamed of what I'd done.

"Snow, you can't blame yourself," Gabe tried to reassure me, "It wasn't really you."

"I can almost accept that with Laurent, but what about Jerron and Balor? I was supposed to be Emily, married to Joseph, and still, I allowed both of them to use me, to mark me," I clawed at my chest, breaking the skin as I dug. "I can't undo this! I'm bonded - mated to Jerron forever...how, how am I supposed to live with this?"

Gabe opened his mouth, then closed it and just pulled me close. Luke wrapped his arms around both of us and whispered, "Do you still love us?"

I jerked, "Of course I do!"

"Then it doesn't matter," he pressed his lips to my forehead, "There has to be a reason for this or a way out of it." He cupped my chin, "I need you to close your eyes and sense him. When you make that connection, I want you to tell us what you feel. Does it feel like Jerron wants to harm you in any way?"

Taking an unsteady breath, I did as he asked. I pushed my consciousness out, seeking him. He felt far away, but also close. Dove? I heard his startled voice in my mind and quickly pulled back. My eyes flew open and my hands gripped Luke's arm.

"He sensed me. He, he spoke to me," I stammered.

They both continued to hold and touch me as they asked questions. "Did he seem angry?" Gabe asked.

I shook my head, "No, he seemed surprised, and concerned."

"Did you say anything to him in return?" Luke prompted. I shook my head and started to answer when I heard the others yelling. We ran to the clearing to see Victor with his hand deep in Corey's chest, and I screamed.

"Enough!" Luke's voice boomed and a loud crack sounded and they all flew across the area. "Calibas let go!" Victor stumbled and dropped Corey, then fell to his knees cradling his head.

"I'm so sorry. Corey, please, so sorry," he moaned as Jax wrapped his arms around him.

"Why did you attack him?" Raven growled.

"We saw it all," Jax said, "We saw him here, with her aunt and Addanc. When a death walker devours a soul, we see their memories, their lifetimes. Victor was overcome with anger and lost control."

"You had every right to be angry," Corey said quietly. "I'm not sure I'll ever forgive myself so why should I expect any of you to forgive me?"

Hearing the pain in his voice broke something in me. "That's enough," I yelled, "If anyone has the right to be angry, it's me, not any of you, and not even you at yourself," I said, pointing my finger at Corey. "This entire situation is fucked up beyond belief. I'm sick of the magical world using me like a goddamn puppet. It stops now," I shouted and a tree exploded. I stormed over to Corey, grabbed his face, and planted a kiss on his lips. He froze for a moment, eyes wide until I wrapped my arms around him and deepened the kiss. His body instantly responded as he pulled me tight against him, our tongues battling. I heard a low growl come from his chest and flushed realizing now what had changed.

When our kiss broke I pressed my forehead to his, "I forgive you, my love, mo mhac tíre. Please forgive yourself," I begged him as I held my hand out to Raven. "We can't bear life without you."

Raven wrapped his arms around us as Corey cried against my neck, "I'm so sorry, little mouse."

"I know. It wasn't you. Mara twisted your love for me and your desire to protect me and the babies. I promise you, if I ever get my hands on her, Addanc's punishment will look kind." I winced as one of the twins gave me a kidney shot.

"Sugar, we need to get you home. I want to check you over myself," Sean said, eyeing my swollen stomach.

"Fine, but Victor and Jax are taking me. We need to chat as well," I said, giving a look toward Luke and Gabe who nodded in agreement. Victor looked so broken when I leaned into his embrace. "Do not punish yourself for a moment of anger," I told him as he wrapped me in his arms. "You did what any good knight does, you sought to protect me."

His amber eyes danced, "Oh, Melody, what did I ever do to deserve you in this life or any other?"

I snorted, "I'm not sure if I'm a blessing or a curse, love, but I wouldn't give you up for anything in this world." I turned to the group, "We're going home to Avalon, not the Queen's palace. It's time I deal with this madness. Besides," I smiled at Nate, "I think I owe you a sword, my King." His cheeks flushed as he smiled at me.  

Author's Notes: Time to return to Avalon!