Chapter 25

Silas's POV

I stood in the hallway, then dropped to my knees, tears streaming down my face. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Phil had just finished telling us that North wasn't going to make it. Too much blood loss, and tissue damage. The machines were the only thing keeping him alive. How did this happen? We were just sitting in the car, watching that damned warehouse when shots rang out of nowhere. He'd thrown himself over me, taking five bullets across his back, one lodging into his chest, damaging his heart.

We hadn't been able to reach Luke or Gabe. Owen wanted to wait to disconnect the machines until they had a chance to say their goodbyes. Uncle had been inconsolable, looking like he was going to collapse at any moment. Raven and Axel had to help restrain him at first, then when Phil spoke to us, it seemed like all the life in him just vanished. He looked so frail and old as he sat holding North's unmoving hand.

None of us had left the hospital - most of us stayed in the room in silence, afraid if we spoke it would become more real somehow. As I sat there on my knees, I prayed to the gods for some miracle, some help to save my brother.

I was pulled from my thoughts by a loud popping sound and looked up to see a very stunned Luke holding hands with Gabe and a dark-haired woman that I assumed was Luke's girlfriend. "Luke, Gabe? Where the hell did you come from?" I yelled in shock. "Never mind, come on." I grabbed Luke's arm and began to drag him down the hall. "How did you know to come? Did Corey finally reach you?" I asked as we walked quickly towards North's room.

"Not exactly," he said softly. "Silas, what happened? I only know my brother was hurt, but nothing else."

Oh shit, I thought he knew. I'm not the best to try and explain this. I looked around for Phil or Sean but didn't see either. When we reached the door, I stopped and met his gaze. "North was shot," my tongue felt heavy as I tried to explain, "he..he saved me, Luke, but Phil says," my words became choked on the sobs coming from my throat. I felt a soft hand on my arm and looked into a pair of icy-blue eyes. An immediate sense of calm came over me, the type of calm I only experience when I'm near the water. I didn't even hear Sean and Owen walk up.

"Luke," Sean said softly and pulled him into a hug. Owen had grabbed Gabe and was hugging him as this small woman still continued to hold my arm. "What Silas is trying to say is that North is already gone. Only the machines are keeping him alive now," his eyes were red from hours of crying and his voice shook as he spoke. "I'm so sorry, Luke, we tried, I promise, we tried everything."

Gabe and the woman caught Luke as he stumbled, the shock of the situation hitting him now. I watched as Gabe pressed his lips to his temple, "Don't go there, pretty boy. They sent us in time, we have to believe that. Now you and Snow get in there and do your thing." Luke took the woman's hand and all three stepped into the room.

Everyone turned to look at them, a mix of relief and sadness filling their eyes. "We'll give you some privacy," Kota said as they all stepped closer to us.

Victor grabbed the woman's hand and squeezed it, "I'm sorry to meet this way."

She gave him a smile that made my heart stutter. "Don't worry, Victor, everything will be okay, I promise. Believe me?"

He gave her a genuine smile, "Always." What was that all about?

Luke stepped closer to the bed, taking North's hand as we watched from the doorway. His girlfriend stood near North's head, and Gabe positioned himself between the door and the bed. What the hell were they doing? Luke looked at both of them without speaking. You could see the private conversation flowing then he nodded and took a deep breath. Faster than any of us could react, he pulled the breathing tube from North's throat as Nimue placed a kiss on North's forehead and began speaking softly.

Sean yelled, "What the hell are you doing?" and then tried to rush into the room, we all did. The machines started to beep violently as his oxygen levels dropped. In a flash of soft light, Gabe held out his hand, and we couldn't enter.

"Sorry guys, but you just have to be patient," he said to us as he used some trick to keep us from entering the room.

I looked at North. Luke had opened his mouth and was pouring in a clear water-looking liquid. Then he spoke to him as the woman kept speaking softly, her eyes glowing. "Come on brother, wake up and meet my wife, Nimue."

Gabe yelled, "Our wife, you fucker."

Luke laughed, "I mean, our wife." All the machines went silent, and I felt my chest tighten. Was he dead, no wait, the machines would be louder, but instead, they were silent as if they weren't even hooked up. "Come on North, the way back is clear. Come back to your family, brother." I stared at him in awe, realizing that all three of their eyes were glowing softly. He reached out and took the woman's hand as she came to stand next to him.

She placed her hand over North's heart, "The veil does not hold you, North Taylor," her voice was soft but powerful and the glow spread across his body. "By the waters of Avalon, awake and be healed." She swayed slightly and Luke wrapped his arms around her as we watched.

He coughed. North coughed, then his eyes opened. "What the fuck happened," his voice boomed as he looked around the room. "And what do you mean wife," he glared at Luke and Gabe.

Gabe lowered his hand and the invisible barrier seemed to vanish. He stepped closer to Luke and the woman. "Well, while you were busy getting fucking shot, we were getting fucking busy," he chuckled.

Kota let out a strangled cry from the doorway, "You're the Lady of the Lake." she giggled and nodded. Wait, the what? Victor chuckled and Kota turned to him. "You knew!"

Before Victor could respond, she spoke, "Please do not be angry, Kota. Victor was sworn to secrecy just as were Phil and Corey. It was not safe for anyone to know who I was before, and it may still not be, but North's life is worth the risk." Her voice made me feel giddy inside like a little kid. What was wrong with me, why was I feeling like this? "Perhaps we could have Phil join us and we could explain?"

"I think that would be a grand idea," Owen said icily, then turned to find Doc Roberts.  

Author's Notes:  Time for them all to know her secret.  

Please, vote, comment and follow my lovelies!