Chapter 69

Sean's POV

I paced the room. What had I done? This was all my fault. I'm the one who destroyed my friend's body and now, well now, he's some crazed half beast doing stars only knows what to Nimue.

"Sean, stop," Owen said, placing his hands on my shoulders. "You didn't do anything wrong. Nate could be overreacting. We have to trust that Nimue can bring him back and protect herself. She's not Sang." My head snapped up at the mention of Sang, my eyes slitting. "Nimue is strong, Sean. Her magic is much stronger than we realize, and I have to believe that she can protect herself."

I know he was trying to reassure me, but when he mentioned Sang all I felt was like a failure. Black tendrils began to flow over my skin as I let out a low growl. "Don't ever say that name to me again, Owen. I will not see us make the same mistakes." His eyes grew wide and he took a step back, a frown settling over his face.

"That's not what I said or meant, grá," his own skin danced with wisps of white magic. "Do not look for conflict where there is none."

"Look if you two want to fight and have angry sex, get a fucking room already. Some of us are trying to find a way back into that damned bubble," Gabe swore, throwing pillows in our direction. I blinked rapidly as I realized Owen was laughing - full-blown laughing. "Holy shit, Owen's cracked," Gabe said as they all stared at him.

"Better to laugh than to cry," Owen said, wiping tears from his eyes as he pulled me against him, surprising me with a kiss. He swatted my ass and purred, "Now you, little boy, get out of your head." We spent hours researching as the Queen lingered near Jax's body whispering to him.

"Where did he go?" she screamed, bringing our full attention back to the beds.

I knew it before the words came out of his mouth, "Nimue's gone." Brandon's words hung in the air. All eyes turned toward the now empty bed, but no one moved or spoke.

"Ahem, can Sleeping Beauty get a kiss?" a soft voice asked from the doorway. I spun around and saw her standing next to two tall figures partially covered in shadow. She took a cautious step forward. "I need you all to stay calm, please," she said quietly as she stepped closer. "First, everything is fine," she looked at Nate, "I know what you saw, but I promise he's fine now. Jax helped him get sorted. There isn't anything to worry about anymore, I promise."

Nate stepped toward her and brushed her hair back from her neck. His face darkened when he saw the puncture wounds, "You call this fine, mi corazón?" Wait, did he just call her my heart in Spanish? What the fuck happened in that dream bubble?

She grabbed his hands, "Nate, I promise, it's okay. Please, just let us explain. Let Victor explain - he's different now, he's in his true form." She turned to all of us, "I accept him for who he is, and I hope you do as well."

"Let them make their own decisions, Melody," Victor said, his voice much deeper than before. It seemed to vibrate in the air. Both he and Jax took a step forward from the shadows and the Queen let out a shriek.

"What have you done to him, you monster?" she demanded.

Jax looked at his mother sadly, "He saved me." He took a step toward her, but she retreated in fear. "Mother, please," he begged.

"Your Highness, Jax was dying. The bánánach venom had pierced his heart. He couldn't survive outside the dream bubble," Nimue tried to explain. "Victor gave him the choice."

"The choice to trade one death for another?" the Queen sputtered, "To become asiúlóir bás, cursed for eternity?"

"No mother, to be blessed with immortality with mo maité. Victor is my soulmate," Jax said, gripping Victor's hand tightly. "I would cross the Cauldron a thousand times for him, to be loved by him." I saw the look of love and pride fill both their eyes and felt myself relax slightly.