Chapter 63

North's POV

"What the fuck was that?" Nate yelled, his hands gripping his ears in pain.

"Banshee," Axel called out both in the spoken word and in the minds of those who already had a link. "It means someone has been marked for death." His expression was grim as he surveyed the field. "We need to regroup and close ranks. It's the only chance we have."

To the west, I could see the Oilliphéist attempting to dodge Victor's brambles. The creature's wings had been shredded on one side already, and it was struggling to stay airbound. Victor looked specter-like as his eyes glowed with flames, his skin paler than usual and his hair seemed to have gained more white streaks. It was like his magic was draining his life force. "He's killing himself," I gasped, looking at Silas.

He looked at Victor and frowned, then his eyes seemed to glaze over for a moment. He shook his head, "He's done this before. If he keeps going, his body will give out and put him in a coma-like state. We need to get the damn dragon gone." I gave him a confused look, but he tapped the side of his head. "She was right. It's like I can see what each of you has experienced in your past lives even if I wasn't there. Kind of like watching an old movie."

The formations had pulled back to create a solid wall around each other. It made me think of a Spartan formation for a shield wall. I was impressed with Jax and his leadership style. He had full command of all the troops - Fae, elven and human. No one questioned him, not even our guys. I sent the message along telepathically about Victor and watched as Owen and Sean moved in that direction. Seeing Sean bathed in black wisps of magic was unnerving. The irony of him being connected to death and darkness wasn't lost on any of us. We watched as he joined Victor in repelling the dragon and forcing it to the ground as its second wing shredded. When the creature retreated, they slowly rejoined the main ranks. Sean was visibly shaken as Owen clutched his hand, and Victor looked as if he were ready to collapse.

"You okay, Vic?" I asked him, seeing him sway slightly.

He shook it off, "Yeah, I'll make it." Looking towards a small outcropping at the edge of the visible field. "Something's there," he whispered, "I sensed it earlier, but couldn't figure it out. There's some kind of magic shielding it."

"Anyone else sense anything?" Owen asked. I shook my head, not sensing anything. Only Raven and Axel seemed to be able to sense it as well, but neither of them could figure it out either. Gabe and Jax were still at the front of the battle when we heard the banshee's shattering cry again.

It was as if the world froze for a single moment. Then it sped up.

Right in front of the ground surge, hundreds of Pooka and Bánánach suddenly appeared. Then another flank appeared, surrounding and cutting off the group from the rest of us. Jax stood with his back against Gabe as they slashed at the Pooka shifters. The bánánach were mowing down the Fae soldiers by the dozens, littering the field with blood, which only seemed to encourage and strengthen the demons.

"We have to get to them now!" Kota yelled, launching waves of fire from his arms and hands. "Keep Nate and Corey in the middle, and move as one." None of us hesitated. We moved in a tight formation, taking down anything that crossed our path, but we were still moving too slowly. I watched in horror as a bánánach sliced into Jax. His body slumped as Gabe tried to support his weight and still defend himself.

"I'm going," I yelled and teleported next to him, grabbing Jax's sword. Gabe eased him on the ground between us as we continued to fight. I was just about to grab them both and teleport them when Luke and Nimue suddenly appeared next to us. "Goddess, you need to get out of here, the..." I tried to warn her, but it was too late. Everything happened all at once. The banshee let out another cry as a pair of bánánach in spectral form moved forward, raking their claws along her back as she shielded Gabe and Jax. Luke let out a fierce howl as he blasted the creatures with magic unlike any I'd seen before. He slammed his hands to the ground as trees sprung up from the soil sending several creatures flying or impaling them. Magic flew off him in waves as he cleared the area.