Chapter 34

Kota's POV

The more she explained, the more I felt like something was missing. It was like an itch in the back of my mind. And when she said Luke might be the next Merlin, I almost lost my mind. I mean, Luke - the daydreamer, the one who was always being silly? That didn't fit with any of the versions of Merlin I'd read about. When Victor shut us all down I felt ashamed. He was right. This wasn't some book or movie, it was real and we needed to know what was the true story, not a Hollywood adaptation.

"Nimue," I said. She looked at me, still a little flustered from the breathtaking kiss Victor had just given her. "Can you please tell us what we need to know? I'm struggling to get the literature versions out of my mind and I think so are a lot of my brothers." She nodded and came to sit across from me.

She took my hand in hers, "Thank you for trying to understand, Kota. I know this isn't easy for you, for any of you," she said looking around the room. "And I know I'm throwing a lot of information at you at once." I was afraid she was going to pull her hand away. I didn't realize until this moment how much I wanted her to touch me, to pay attention to me. I saw Gabe give me a smirk and wanted to roll my eyes, but deep down I knew he was right. We were all going to fall for her, and it wasn't going to be puppy love or a high school crush like it was with Sang. This was something bigger, something downright monumental happening to all of us.

She cleared her throat, "So as I was saying, Merlin is a title. Yes, the High Priest of the Druids has magic, like the book version, but it is because of his studies and years of training. He must go through a Druid trial similar to what Luke, Gabe, and North have completed, but then he must also face a vision quest within the shadow realms. It is that final step that marks a Merlin. Once they have completed that trail, they have knowledge and magic that spans life and death." She turned to look at Victor, "I suspect you will be pulled to Avalon in dreams much like North did to face your trial now that you've been marked. And it won't do any good to ask the guys what theirs was like, because each trial is unique to the individual tree or plant that has claimed you." I chuckled as she told him that, knowing full well that's what he had planned to do.

"Thank you for explaining, Nimue," Owen said quietly. "Now can you explain why the descendent is important? If we understand that, we might be able to help keep you and the babies safe from your aunt."

She involuntarily gripped my hand for a brief moment, before looking back into my eyes. When I gazed into her icy blue eyes, it felt like the air was sucked out of my lungs. I saw her pupils dilate for a moment, then she took a deep breath. "The descendent is from the line of Igraine because Arthur's only child died shortly after him. There have been many descendents over the centuries, but none have been found worthy by Excalibur and the Lady."

"Wait, I'm confused," Nate said, "I thought you were the Lady?"

She gave him a soft smile, "In name, yes, but I haven't taken my vows nor have I gone through the final rites, nor been blessed within the lake by the Goddess for that purpose. My mother was the last true Lady of the Lake, and my aunt currently serves as Regent or caretaker if you will of the Isle. When I had my vision, I saw myself being sent to the bottom of the lake to retrieve Excalibur and I heard my mother's voice. I was much farther along in my pregnancy, maybe seven or eight months. When I touched the blade, she said 'He has returned. The line will continue.'" I could see the tears that edged her eyes, threatening to fall. I rubbed circles on her hand giving it a soft squeeze. She smiled at me in thanks before continuing. "While it is true the kingdom of Camelot is no longer, the world of Avalon still exists. When Arthur fell, the two worlds separated and Avalon fell into the mists once again along with all the magical realms. For the Isle to have found a worthy descendent means he is someone who can help guide the magical realms in their dealings with the mortal ones. It would be my place to counsel and guide him in his rise to rule."

"Are you telling me that this descendent will be a King?" Nate gaped.

Nimue straightened, "He will be King of the magical realms, bringing them together as in the Old Days. He will also be the ambassador to the mortal world. Make no mistake, most rulers - presidents, kings, queens, even dictators know of the magical realms. They simply have no access to them. Avalon is the gatekeeper to the magic. This is why it is so dangerous if what we are suspecting is true."

She let go of my hand and stood in the center of the room. Her body began to glow as she waved her arms above her. The room seemed to dissolve around us and in its place, we saw thousands of cities filled with creatures from lore and fantasy. She looked like a fierce warrior, her hair floating around her in black waves, her eyes glowing. "If my aunt has betrayed the Isle, then everything you see here is in danger. My family has protected these folk since the dawn of time, and I will not allow her to betray that without consequence." She lowered her arms and the room reappeared. She swayed and her eyes rolled back in her head as her body began to drop to the floor. Axel reacted faster than any of us, and caught her, using his body to break her fall.

Sean knelt beside her, checking her pulse and heart rate. "Let's get her into bed, she needs to rest. We can put her in my room." Axel picked her up and followed Sean up the stairs with North following.

Luke looked at Corey and Victor. "So do we have any leads on where those men are?" He pointed to the screen.

Corey magnified a photo, "This guy has already left the country, but the other two are staying in a hotel downtown under the name Kinnon. We've been tracking their credit cards as well."

"I think we should keep North's recovery a secret for now. Perhaps they might make a slip if they think they succeeded," Owen said, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Luke, could you see if uncle will close the diner for a bit? He could post a sign saying something about a family issue." Luke nodded and left the room, the phone already to his ear.

Gabe asked Owen, "Does this mean you fucking believe now?"

"Yes, Gabe, I believe, and I'm sorry for my earlier behavior. I'll apologize to Nimue as well. She has more than proven that this attack is leveled not only at her but at us as a family. I give you my word, I'll do my best to protect her and your children." He had a determined look on his face as he continued to give orders in hopes of setting a trap for the two remaining men.

My eyes drifted towards the stairs. I still had a nagging in the back of my brain at her explanations earlier, but I couldn't figure it out. It was almost like there was something keeping me from remembering.  

Author's Notes:  Oh my, just skipping along, dropping hints - or are they misdirect...hmm...guess we will all find out together - insert evil laugh here.

More Druid marks to come as well as some dangers to be faced.  

Please comment, vote and follow!