Chapter 53

Multiple POVs

Gabe's POV

I woke up at the base of a gnarled, towering Ash tree. It felt similar to the first time I was in the grove, but somehow it also felt more ominous. The forest was silent, too silent. No bugs, no birds, no animals, no wind, just silence. I felt the pull like I had that day and pressed my hands against the rough bark. I swear it fucking moved. It twisted and grated against my hands, cutting them. My palms stayed against the trunk and the blood began to stain the bark. "What the fuck do you want from me?" I yelled, trying to pull my damaged hands away.

"Everything," a soft voice said, but I couldn't see anyone. "Let go, Druid, become one with the world tree."

"How the fuck do I become one with a tree?"

I felt a slight push on my back, "Like this," and then fell head first into the tree.

I landed on my hands and knees inside the tree. My mouth was gaping. This shouldn't be possible. It's a fucking tree. How the fuck was it so huge inside - I mean is this like a TARDIS thing, bigger on the inside? Holy shit, Nimue would be proud of that reference, but no way I'm admitting I like that damn show to her.

I looked around and saw a petite woman, maybe a bit younger than me, with long deep brown almost black hair and crystal blue eyes giggling at me. "The look on your face is priceless," she tittered.

I scowled, "How exactly should I fucking look? You pushed me into a damn giant fucking mutant tree!" I froze in my steps when the tree shook and groaned. "What was that?" I whispered, eyes wide.

"Maybe the giant fucking mutant tree didn't like you calling it that?" she sassed, rolling her eyes. She looked like Nimue when she did that...wait.

"Who are you?"

"Really? All those fucking powers and you can't figure out the simple stuff?" She rolled her eyes again, "Gee, Dad, you aren't exactly living up to those bedtime stories right now." Did she just say, dad? My mouth opened, but for the life of me, I forgot how the fuck to speak. "Ohh, I am sooo going to tease you about this at the next family dinner."

"Listen here, young lady, you will not tell a single fucking person about this, whatever the fuck this is, or I'll tell your mother!" I really hoped that threat carried the weight it did when it came to Kota's mom.

She stomped her foot and pouted, "Fine." Oh, thank fuck. I was worried she would call my bluff. "You aren't going to like what's coming," she said. "You always said it was one of the worst things you experienced other than, oh shoot, I can't mention that. Dammit," she groaned.

Well, she definitely got my bad language. "What exactly am I about to experience? And why are you here?"

"Gee, nice to see you too, Dad," she quipped. "I'm your guide, silly. The future Lady of the Lake since the current one isn't officially titled right now."

"Wait, you're the Lady already? But you're so young?" A horrible fear gripped my heart. "Is..is your mom, is she okay - why did she step down?" I whispered.

I felt her small hands take mine, a soft greenish glow covering my hands. When she flipped my palms over, they were healed. "Mom is fine, and I'm much older than I look. I can't say more than that." She kissed my cheek, a tear falling down hers. "Now, I'm here to call you back when it's time. Please trust yourself and just let go. The more you fight, the more it will hurt, Dad." Yeah, she's not fucking making me feel good about this. Before I could say anything else, I let out a bloodcurdling scream as a thin branch pierced my side. Then another one grabbed my ankles. It swung within the giant tree, lowering until I was almost fucking submerged in a pool of water near the roots. I looked at my daughter one last time, then the branch plunged me downward.