Chapter 83

Luke's POV

Gabe and I sat at a small table talking quietly as Nimue slept nearby. I knew Nate and the others would propose eventually, I just hadn't expected it at that moment. I think he sensed she needed reassurance. When they all bent down, the look on her face was priceless. The news had quickly spread around the Isle and soon every initiate and wannabe was coming out to congratulate her and us, but still no response from Brigid. I was beginning to suspect she was intentionally avoiding us, but why?

"Something's off," Gabe said, rubbing his temples. "I don't know how to explain it, but I just feel like something is off. The trees are anxious. I couldn't feel it until we got here, but now it feels like my whole body is vibrating in warning."

I felt it too. "It's like a tickle at the back of my mind that I just can't seem to pinpoint," I said, nodding. I let out a long breath, "I have a theory, and before you tell me I'm crazy, just hear me out, please." Gabe gave me a concerned look but stayed quiet. "I think Nate isn't the only descendant. I think Nimue is as well."

"You've said this before, so what has you fucking convinced now?" he asked.

"Jerron's mark," I said simply. "And the real possibility that Balor marked her as well. Gabe, if she's bonded to more than just us, is it possible that she is the one to unite the realms?"

He looked shocked, "I, I never fucking thought of it that way. What the fuck does that mean for all of us if she's bonded to them? Are there more? Just how big is this crazy fucking harem going to get?"

"I have no idea," I mumbled. My head jerked toward the bedroom, "Did you hear that?" His eyes looked concerned and we both took off in a run toward the room. I threw the door open and we both froze for a moment when we saw Jerron standing over her. "Jerron, step away from her," I demanded.

"You better have one hell of a fucking good reason for being here," Gabe shouted.

"I needed to make sure she was safe," he replied, "I've also given her a gift - let's call it a wedding gift. Congratulations, by the way." He smiled softly at her. "She's going to be quite tired for a day or two, but my blood will help keep her safe. Feel free to verify what I've told her with the healers or even your death walker. I mean her no harm, gentlemen. But make no mistake, I also have no intention of letting her go. She is just as much my mate as she is yours." He placed her hand on her chest and vanished.

We rushed to the bed, and as I called out for Sean, her eyelids drooped. "I'm okay," she slurred, "He didn't hurt me."

"I got here as fast as I could," Sean said, hovering his hands over her body. A soft glow covered her as she giggled, then he laughed, "She seems healthy and safe. Why did he give her blood?"

"No poison," she mumbled, then rolling over she fell asleep smiling.

The others soon filtered into the room and Jax climbed into the bed next to her. "What did she mean, 'no poison'?" Sean asked.

"Oilliphéist blood is immune to all poisons. If what she said is true, then it's a way of offering an olive branch to not only her, but us as well," Victor said, watching both his lovers. "By mixing his blood with hers, she and the twins will have full immunity to all known poisons."

"Why the twins?" Corey asked.

"Her blood will filter it to them through the umbilical cord," Sean explained. "But what I don't understand is how is his blood good when his venom made us all high and horny?" Corey's face darkened at the mention of that night, but Raven pulled him into his arms, hugging him tightly.

"Not the same thing," Raven said, "Oilliphéist venom is intended for the creature to lure victims or distract them." His cheeks flushed as he made his next statement, "It's also sold as an aphrodisiac for lovers and when the creatures mate - they can go for hours, even days during rut seasons."

"He was adamant that he wasn't giving up on her," I told them. "I think we all have to consider the real possibility that he is going to become part of us." I waved my hand when North started to bluster, "No, I have no idea how that's going to work, but I also know that if she chooses this bond - or any other, I have to support her, we all do - otherwise you walk away now."

"What do you mean, any other?" Marc questioned.

"I mean, what if Balor's mark is legit? What if there are others out there we don't know about? Gabe and I always assumed Brigid just meant our team, but then she met Corey and Raven...well, that changed what we thought. Now, Jerron's mate mark, well, I just don't know. This is beyond me, beyond all of us and Brigid isn't answering her calls," I groaned.

"We don't worry about it now," Nate said. "The choice isn't ours, it's hers. Whatever she decides, I will support her. I know I was the last to realize how much I needed her, but I'm all in now. I can't let her go, and if he feels even a tenth of what I feel, then I understand why he can't walk away." He looked around the room at all of us, "Can any of you really say you will leave her if Jerron or even Balor are her mates?" No one responded. "Yeah, that's what I thought. Luke, Gabe, do you think he will attempt to take her from here?"

"He could have fuckin taken her already if he had wanted to," Gabe said, "He didn't even try to hide his presence when we walked in, just fucking stood there making sure she was safe in bed."

"Good, then we don't worry for now. Let's focus on solidifying the Council and the Samhain preparations," Nate decided. He was taking to his role quickly, but not arrogantly. "Gabe, could you reach out to Cailleach and see if she has any idea why Brigid is AWOL?"

"Yeah, I'll see if she answers," Gabe said, then took my hand, "What do you need from us for the Council?"

"We need some answers out of Laurent, if possible. Jerron may be in her corner, but we have no idea about Deliah or Balor. We don't even know if they are all still working together anymore." I watched my little one as she nuzzled her pillow while Jax held her tightly. He rested his head just above hers, watching her every breath. "Will you stay with her? Jerron said she may be sleepy for a few days. I don't want her to strain herself or fall if she's groggy."

"Of course," he smiled. "I won't leave her side." I knew he'd keep her safe because Nate was right, we needed to get things done before the twins arrived, and time was running out.

We left the room, heading toward the Druid chambers. It was time to get answers.

Author's Notes: Luke is ready to lead the Council, and Nate seems pretty secure in his soon-to-be role.  Suggestions, comments?