Chapter 87

Kota's POV

Nimue had started having labor pains just after the first pyres were lit on Samhain. It was hours before dawn as I stood next to Beltene outside the tent. Luke and Gabe were inside along with Nate and Victor. We'd all been taking turns joining the three during her labor. Beltene put his hand on my shoulder, "How are you holding up, son?"

"I won't lie, it's hard," I said, letting out a ragged breath. Memories of our past life flooded me each time she cried out. "I will love those babies as my own, but it still hurts."

He gave me a supportive look, "Your time will come, Kota." I nodded and embraced him. "Now, tell me about your mother in this lifetime. Is she anything like Es?"

I gulped, "Are you trying to get me to set you up with my mom, Beltene?" He chuckled. "Hell, she doesn't even know what's going on here yet. She thinks we're off on a mission," I groaned, "Fuck, she's going to kill all of us."

He laughed harder, "Yeah, sounds like Es to me. So when do I get to meet her?" I just shook my head and headed back to the tent. I looked inside to see Luke pressing a cold cloth to Nimue's forehead as Gabe cradled her against his chest. Sean was checking her while the healer, Meredith, helped.

I walked to the side of the bed, placing a kiss on her head, "How are you feeling, my fire?"

She gave me a weak smile, "Tired, love, but I'm okay. Sean says the twins are stubborn like their daddies and waiting to make a grand entrance." She gave a slight giggle then gripped Luke's hand as another contraction hit. They were getting closer together and I noticed all of us were in the tent now. North had raised the eastern panel so she could see the fires clearly.

My father came close to the bed and placed a hand on her stomach, "May they both know the fire of knowledge and the blessings of the Sabbats." A small flame covered her stomach and then seemed to sink into her skin as his blessing passed through her to them. She sighed and her body seemed to relax a bit.

"I hope I'm still welcome," Brigid said from the edge of the tent. "I'm sorry I could not answer, my child," she spoke, coming closer as Sean moved aside to let her take over. "Oh no, Sean, you should deliver your children. I only wish to help." Sean's eyes watered and shone with pride as he resumed his spot. Brigid looked to the fires with a nervous expression then gave a forced smile. "Not much longer, sweet girl." I wasn't worried before, but now I am. What isn't she telling us?

Nimue let out a loud scream that filled the area. "Some...something's wrong," she panted. Her fingers were white as she gripped Luke and Gabe's hands, bearing down.

Sean's face paled, "Nimue, sugar, I need you to stop pushing for a moment." She growled at him, "I know it's hard, love, but try." He seemed to have a private conversation with Meredith and Brigid then motioned for Owen to come close.

"Sean, what the fuck is going on?" Gabe demanded.

Owen placed his hand alongside Sean's, "The cord is wrapped around Aisling's neck, and your son's foot is also within the cord. We are going to try and untangle them. If that doesn't work then we will combine our magic to save them," Owen said as Sean focused on the babies. You could feel a collective shiver across the room. We never considered anything could go wrong since Gabe had met his daughter, but the future is never set in stone. We shouldn't have gotten so cocky.

She let out a long and painful scream as Sean worked. I noticed the pyre flare and Cailleach stood before it alongside a tall figure. I felt my breath falter and fell to my knees. "Please, no," I begged, "not again." I heard several of the others gasp as well, realizing who stood next to Cailleach.