Chapter 104

Bonus Chapter:  Balor's POV

"I'm nervous," Nimue said under her breath.

I took her small hand in mine and squeezed gently. Despite my marriage to her and involvement with Avalon, the Fomorians were still reluctant to travel to the Isle. Thousands of years of bad blood were hard to overcome, so she and I were going to them. "It will be fine, beautiful," I whispered in her ear. "I'm right here. I wouldn't let anything happen to you."

She rolled her eyes and huffed, "I'm not afraid of them hurting me, silly. I'm afraid of them laughing at the tiny little human. Fomorians have never been known for respecting humans and especially women. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're with me, but at the same time, I'm pissed you have to even be with me to talk with them." Her voice had a slight growl to it that was adorable. However, I kept my observation to myself for fear she'd slap me for it.

We'd reached the main gate by this time and stood waiting to be received. The plain wooden gate swung inward and I groaned internally. There in front of us was my former commander, Morclav. While I was still King, he was a prominent leader within the community and was one of those old-fashioned types like Nimue had just complained about. I swear I really didn't want to have to kill someone today but fuck me if it wasn't looking that way. He arched his eyebrows when he looked at us, then cleared his throat. "Your Highness, your Ladyship," he gave a slight incline and his voice was shaky. What the hell? "Please, follow me."

I started to take a step forward, but Nimue didn't move. Her eyes followed Morclav as he walked, then she looked at me with sheer panic. Nimue? I asked.

He was there - her voice was barely a whisper in my mind

Where? I don't understand.

When my parents died. He was there. I felt my chest constrict as I swung my head toward him. I started to see red, then I felt her hand clench mine. Don't, not yet. I nodded and we followed him inside.

I noticed several of my friends and former soldiers were already in the great hall awaiting us. "Kindar," I said, shaking hands with the towering giant. He gave me a genuine smile and looked down at Nimue.

Bowing to her height, he spoke gently, "My Lady, we are honored to have you here. Not all of us are as resistant to an alliance. It just takes time to change the mind of stubborn giants." I saw her shoulders relax at his words. He took her elbow, and chuckled, "Now, tell me what in the realms you see in this oaf?"

She giggled and looked up at me, "It took some convincing, but when I fell, there was no turning back." I could see the love in her eyes and it amazed me still. My sins had been unforgivable, yet she had done it. Now, don't get me wrong, it took months to work through our issues and for me to build trust with her. Every mistake I made was like moving back a mile, but we were both determined to make it work. Luke had turned into one of my biggest supporters and closest friends. I think when he realized the bond with Jerron was real, he knew mine was as well. I think he knew even before I had accepted it. He played mediator with us.

Kindar looked at me, "Huh, where do I find one like her?" She giggled again and took the seat he had pulled out for her. "So is it just the two of you, or will any of the others be arriving later?"

"We wanted to come first in hopes of getting talks started. Nathan would like to meet with you as well, but he felt both of us being present initially might be seen as overstepping," she explained diplomatically.

I shook my head, "She wanted to come alone. I said hell no." I clarified.

Kindar just laughed, "Oh My Lady, you do realize this oaf is very over-protective right?"