Chapter 89

Delilah's POV

When I saw Zolros reappear without Nimue or the children I howled in anger. He met my gaze and shook his head. Group by group his Bánánach began to vanish, leaving the battle. What was he doing? We had a deal.

"I'll kill you for this betrayal, Zolros," I shouted as he turned his back and vanished. I scanned the field and saw that we still held the advantage. Pookas of all varieties still fought for me as well as many other magical creatures. A large pack of Ossory had joined the battle and were cornering a group of her men. Suddenly a solitary ear-shattering howl filled the air as a large blonde wolf lunged in front of the men. No, it couldn't be - the fool from the marsh was still alive?

Before I could contemplate the matter further, the ground shook as Jerron landed in his Oilliphéist form and began to rip at a giant Oilliphéist with grey scales that had been attacking more of her men. His talons pierced the other dragon's neck as it fell limp to the ground. Jerron's head swung to find me as he let out a loud roar, shouting, "How dare you attack my mate!" His what? Was there no end to this insanity? I needed to finish this, and it needed to be fast. I sent the command and let myself slip into shadow as the battle continued.

Nimue's POV

I fell to my knees when Zolros vanished, relief and a bit of disappointment washing over me. When he had first appeared, I was certain he would kill all of us, but then his manner and aura shifted. It reminded me of the way Jerron's aura has shifted. For just like Jerron, I knew somewhere deep inside my soul that Zolros wouldn't harm me or the children. I can't say I knew he would protect us, but he at least wouldn't harm us.

I could hear the battle raging outside the temple, but I stayed within the walls. Ironically, the twins slept quietly as the walls and ground shook. I heard Corey's howl and felt my heart swell when he commanded the other Ossory to stand down. Even this far away, I could feel his power and knew he would become their leader eventually. When I felt Jerron's presence, my heart skipped a beat - dread filling me that he'd lied and was helping Delilah, until I heard him roar at her. He'd come to help.

Are you safe, dove? I heard him ask

I am. Zolros came, but then left without any incident, I replied.

Jerron snorted, He left the battle and took his army with him. I gasped. I knew he wouldn't harm me, but to abandon his campaign was a different matter altogether.

We are sa... I started to say but felt a sharp pinch in my neck and the world went black.

Jerron's POV

We are sa...

Her words had dropped off mid-sentence - something was wrong. "Nimue's in trouble I roared," trying to alert the others. When one or more tried to move toward the temple, Delilah's forces blocked their retreat. I did the only thing I could think of.

"Balor - save her!" I roared into the air, hoping my friend would hear the call.

Balor's POV

"Balor - save her!" I heard Jerron's roar all the way underground and jumped out of my seat. I closed my eyes, searching for her, and was shocked to sense her here, underground. How the fuck did she get here?

In seconds I'd teleported just outside the room that held her. I slammed the door open as I realized the other two auras in the room. Delilah's head snapped up as she saw me storm in. Mara, who had supposedly been stripped of her powers, held Nimue's head in her lap, her fangs extended. "About damn time you showed up," Delilah muttered. "Did you know your friends Jerron and Zolros have betrayed us?"