Chapter 27

Axel's POV

"I love you Owen, but disrespect my wife again, and it won't be the tie next time," Gabe growled as his eyes glowed.

"Gabe, don't. He has every right to doubt me, and he's simply looking out for his family, your family," Nimue said. Gabe's body instantly relaxed. I'd never seen him so angry or protective before. Even when their team was with Sang, he wasn't like that. Honestly, he could give North and Raven a run for his money on protectiveness. And Nimue, she was like a lion tamer. I noticed how she could soothe any of them with just a touch. It wasn't just Luke or Gabe either. I'd never seen Raven be so gentle with a woman before. Even before he knew she was pregnant, he handled her like glass. She'd managed to calm down and cheer Victor, Corey, and Silas with only a touch of her hand.

Given my heritage, I'm no stranger to the supernatural, but this was way beyond anything I've ever known or experienced. I only hope Owen is wrong and she doesn't hurt our families.

"You three can stay at the farmhouse until you decide what you are doing," Uncle said, clapping his hands together to break the tension. Smart move. Given the moment that just happened between Gabe and Owen, I doubt they'd be very comfortable at the mansion, and we simply don't have room at the Sargeant Jasper. "How about I treat you all to dinner?" Uncle asked.

"I'm always up for food," North joked. We all grouped up and headed to the diner. Luke, Gabe, and Nimue rode with Victor. While Silas insisted he drive North's jeep, much to his displeasure. We all chuckled as he groaned about it the entire way down to the parking garage.

Uncle must have called ahead and had the back cleared for us because it was freshly set and no other guests were present. "So what will sit on your stomach, little bird?" he asked Nimue.

She sighed, "Not much these days. Maybe just some toast?"

He smiled at her, "I'll get it and see what else might work. Would you like some hot tea?"

"Yes, please," she smiled and leaned into Luke's chest, but her hand stayed intertwined with Gabe's. I'd noticed they were almost always in contact with one another or at least close proximity. "Sorry to be such a bother," she mumbled to no one in particular.

Victor reached out and patted her hand, "You aren't a bother, sweetie." She wrapped her hand around his and held it for a few moments then thanked him for his kindness.

The conversation was a bit tense at first, but once the food arrived it flowed more easily. Uncle had brought her toast, hot tea, hard cookies, and applesauce. I watched as she ate slowly, testing each item before adding the next. She seemed to really enjoy the tea and hard cookies. I grinned as she dipped them in the tea when she thought no one was looking. At one point, she saw me watching and blushed as she put the cookie in her mouth. I laughed to myself at her innocence. Luke and Gabe were lucky men.

"So, do you know what you're having, Peach?" Sean asked.

"Peach?" she asked with a confused look.

"Just trying out nicknames, Peach. It's a Southern thing," he chuckled. He wasn't wrong. I'd bit my tongue once or twice already when I almost called her Flower.

She giggled, "Guess I should have known that with these two. And to answer your question, a girl and a boy."

"Not to be rude, but do you know which one of these troublemakers is the father?" Marc asked with a chuckle.

"We both are," they replied in unison then broke out laughing. "The little girl is mine," Gabe said. "And the boy is mine," said Luke.

Nimue giggled again, "Thanks to the joys of magic, the healer was able to tell us everything. Sure beats modern medicine." We all laughed a bit at that. She stifled a yawn and blushed. "Sorry. Even with teleporting, the time change is catching up with me."