Chapter 37

Luke's POV

Before anyone else could react, the Slaugh's scythe cut off Toral's head. When the Pookas' fangs came out, blood began pouring from Gabe's wounds. His eyes met mine for a moment as he fell to the ground, making horrible gurgling sounds. Nimue had dropped next to him, trying to stop the bleeding.

I ran towards them, then froze in my tracks as I saw him standing there - next to his body. He gave me a sad smile. I'm sorry, pretty boy.

"Don't you even fucking think about it, Gabriel Coleman Taylor! Get your fucking soul back in that body right now!" I yelled as the others looked at me in shock.

Nimue looked at me, realizing what I was saying, and began to wail, "No, no, no, oh Goddess, please no." She cradled his head as Sean stepped closer.

He put his hand on her shoulder, "Sugar, please let me help." She looked up at him in confusion. I kept my eyes on Gabe's spirit form. Like hell, he was leaving us. I'd drag his soul back myself if I needed to. Sean reached in his pocket and pulled out a knife, then made a long cut along his forearm. He knelt next to Gabe and let his blood fall over the wounds. After a few moments that felt like hours, I saw Gabe flash me a cocky grin and then vanish. I started to say something but stopped when I heard him coughing.

I fell next to him, grabbing him and Nimue both in my arms, covering them in kisses. "Don't you ever fucking do that to me again!" He chuckled as I covered his mouth with a kiss. When I pulled back, Nimue kissed him then she flung herself at Sean, toppling him to the ground. "Thank you," she kissed him, "thank you," another kiss, "thank you," another kiss, "thank you." We all broke out laughing at her enthusiastic behavior.

Gabe grumbled, "Damn, I'm the one that dies, but he's getting all the fucking kisses."

I cupped his face and crashed my mouth against his, kissing him until he let out a low moan. "Happy now, love?" I asked, his eyes hooded, and his pants slightly tented with arousal. "I promise to do more than just kiss you later," I whispered into his ear. He moaned again, leaning into me. I looked over at Sean who had a Cheshire cat grin. "So how did you do that?"

The others had come off the porch, Nimue's spell now released. "She said wielder of blood earlier. Something connected when he stopped breathing, and I knew that the Alder tree was connected to death. I had to try."

Little one leaned against his chest, staring at him in adoration, "I had no idea you could do that, but I suppose it makes sense. The sap in an Alder tree looks like blood. It's one of the reasons Druids will not cut down an Alder. They believe it is connected to the spirit realm. It's one of the few trees that can even continue to grow when fully submerged underwater. The lake is filled with Alder trees from the ancient groves."

"Um, so what about him?" North said, looking up at the Slaugh who was silently taking in everything.

I stood and extended my hand to it. The creature paused, looking shocked. "I know what you are Ancient One. In return for saving my husband, I offer you forgiveness. Be at peace."

It made a choking sound and its form began to shift to that of a warrior. He was covered in furs and didn't look much older than me. "Sula n-imeoidh mé, an gcuirfeá teachtaireacht ar ais chugam chuig an té a sheol mé?" (Before I depart, would you have me return a message to the one who sent me?)

I shook my head, "It won't be necessary. May you find those you love and peace." I took his forearm in mine and thanked him again.

He bowed to Nimue, Gabe, and myself, "A Mhuire, caomhnóir na Fuinseoige, agus Merlin - bí go maith." (My Lady, guardian of the Ash, and Merlin - be well.) He headed toward the tree line and then vanished.