Chapter 28

North's POV

When we reached Uncle's farmhouse, we followed him in. I noticed the place was a mess. I doubt he'd even been here much while I was in the hospital. Damn, that's still messing with me. According to Doc and Sean, I was basically dead, then I woke up looking into the eyes of a goddess. I'd heard her calling to me, telling me to come back. When she touched me it felt like I was home. Then the realization that she's my brother's wife sank in.

"Hey Luke, come help me get some fresh bedding," Uncle called, as Gabe, Nimue and I sat down in the front room.

"How are you feeling?" she asked. "I can only imagine how overwhelming this must be for you." She scooted closer to me on the couch and placed a hand on my arm. It was like a zing of electricity when her skin touched mine. I saw her eyes dilate slightly at the feeling as well.

Gabe cleared his throat, "Hey Snow, I'm going to grab some water for us, okay?" She nodded his head and he gave me an odd grin, then left the room.

She continued to look at me until I spoke. "I'm not really sure how I feel about everything. I mean, I knew I'd been shot, but didn't realize I essentially died." I grunted and rubbed my face, "How do I even process that? Then this," I touched the mark on my chest, "Why me? I get the connection for Luke and Gabe, their your husbands for fucks sake, but me?"

"I'm sorry I don't have answers for you, but I will try to find them," she said softly, still holding my arm. "I will say that Avalon chose you for a reason, even if we don't understand the reason yet." She turned to face me fully, taking my hands in hers. "The Elder tree is just as sacred as the Hawthorn or the Ash, and the Druids do not claim people lightly." About that time, Gabe walked back into the room and Luke came down the stairs with Uncle. "I think I need to start some training with each of you tomorrow. Is there somewhere private we can go where people won't see us?" she asked.

"I'll call Owen. The mansion has lots of land and woods nearby but is fairly restricted from public access. It would be the safest place," Luke responded as Gabe made an almost growling sound.

"Gabriel," Nimue snapped, "I will not be the cause of drama between you and your family. Yes, his words were harsh, but they were just words. Please let this go." He looked at her and you could see his resolve melt.

He put his head in her lap, "I'm sorry, Snow. I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but after dealing with that aunt of yours, I just got so damn mad." She stroked his hair as he spoke, then leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Forgive me?" he whispered.

"Always, love," she said softly, then stifled another yawn.

"I think little mama needs some sleep guys. I'm heading out to the trailer. Just wake me in the morning before we leave," I said, standing to stretch and then heading to the door.

She stomped her foot as Luke helped her stand, "I'm not little! I'm fun..."

Luke put his hand over her mouth, "Don't even finish that sentence, little one. You are in no condition to carry through with that tonight." Her cheeks flushed crimson. Well, damn, now I want to know what the statement is.

I chuckled, "On that note, I'm out. Good night ya'll." I stepped out onto the porch and took a deep breath. Despite being shot, I felt stronger than I had in ages. When I stepped into the trailer my nose wrinkled. It was musty so I started opening up the windows and the hatch. I changed the sheets on the double bed and lay there looking out the roof hatch at the stars. The warm air gently blew through the trailer and I finally fell asleep thinking about the woman I couldn't have.

****

I was standing in a grove of trees shrouded in mist with no shoes on. The grass beneath my feet felt cool and damp with dew. "They chose well," a voice said from behind me. I spun around to see a woman wearing a veil that completely obscured her face.