Chapter 20

Nimue's POV

It seemed like no matter how hard I tried to keep my life separate from Avalon, it just pulled me back in. After our conversation with Victor, Corey, and Phil, I contacted Jax to see what he could find out in the Fae realm. Unfortunately, it wasn't anything good. It seems Laurent had been snooping around, asking questions about Luke and his family. Jax is fairly certain my aunt is behind all of it, but we still don't know for sure what 'it' is.

Phil had sent papers to the London office to put Gabe and Luke on leave. For the past couple of months, Luke has been working his bakery hours and Gabe has been helping out. I'd been seeing my full schedule of patients, but had missed a few days recently for some kind of stomach bug. The relationship between the three of us had become stronger since the day Gabe and I confessed our feelings. I was so worried at first that they would think I was playing favorites if I spent time alone with either of them, but we all sat down and had lots of conversations about how the relationship would work.

Of course, it helps that they've done this before. That was a fairly in-depth conversation as well. They each worried that I would be bothered by their shared past with Sang, but honestly, after that first talk with Luke, I could see he had moved on. I mean, sure he had regrets and could look back with fondness, but he wasn't in love with her any longer and that's what really mattered.

I was startled when my phone rang, dragging me out of my thoughts. "Hello?" I asked, not recognizing the number.

"Is this Nimue Waters?" a woman with a nasally sounding voice asked.

"Um, yes, can I ask who's calling?" I replied, kicking myself for even giving my name.

"Ma'am, this is the lab for Doctor King's office. The doctor would like to schedule a follow-up to discuss your lab work results," she said briskly, "Could you come tomorrow at nine?"

"I, um, sure. Is everything alright?" I asked.

"I wouldn't know, ma'am. I only schedule appointments, best to discuss those matters with the doctor in the morning. Have a good evening." The line went dead.

Well, that was rather rude, I thought to myself as my phone rang again. The ID showed Luke's number. "Hello?"

"Hey little one, are you about ready to leave? Gabe and I thought maybe we could pick you up and take you out to dinner," he suggested.

My stomach rolled at the mention of food, but I really wanted to go out with them. "Sure, sounds good."

"We'll be there in about ten. Love you," he said and hung up.

I finished my file and started down the lift. On the way down it stopped a floor below mine and a young girl stepped in. I looked for her parents, but she was alone. "Sweetie, where are your parents?" I asked her.

She turned toward me and I gasped when I saw her eyes. They were white, with no trace of color at all. She grabbed my wrist, her grip like a vice making me cry out. "The court assembles, but the betrayer still hides," she said in a voice that sounded ancient. "Heed the call, my Lady. He is coming." The lights in the lift flickered and she was gone, with the darkening bruise around my wrist as the only proof of her presence.

I was cradling my wrist when the lift doors opened and I came face to face with Luke and Gabe. "Snow, what the fucking hell happened?" Gabe demanded. I tried to answer him, but I just started sobbing instead. They both wrapped me in their arms and led me out of the lift. They quickly led me out of the building and to the waiting taxi. Once inside, Gabe asked a bit more calmly, "Okay, so first do we need a fucking doctor?"