Chapter 67

Nate's POV

Nimue took my hand and led me to the water's edge. "I'm glad you fell asleep," she said shyly, "I, um, I wanted to talk to you." Her cheeks were kissed with red as she spoke. Damn, she was beautiful. I got lost watching her lips move until she called my name. "Nate, did you hear me?" Fuck, what did she say?

"Uh, sorry, I guess I got distracted," I mumbled.

She frowned, "What is distracting you?" So fucking oblivious... "Anyway, I asked if you were okay, I mean, after the other day. You left so quickly, well I, um," she stammered.

Oh geez, she thinks I'm upset about that day. I put my finger up to her lips, "Stop," I said softly, "I wasn't upset with you, just overwhelmed." Her lips parted slightly and I ran my fingertip over them, pressing into her mouth gently. I felt her tongue brush across it, and I groaned. I met her gaze - her eyes were blown wide. I leaned closer, "I thought I wouldn't love you, but I was wrong, so very wrong, mi corazón." Our lips were just about to meet when I heard Brandon clear his throat.

"Uhh, sorry for the shitty timing you two," he apologized, "but we have a situation and it is time sensitive." Nimue and I listened as he explained the plan, and the risks and then dropped the bombshell about Addanc. All the color drained from Nimue's face and her whole body began to shake uncontrollably. Faster than either of us could react, she slid to the ground, her hands pulling at her hair. I pulled her into my lap as Brandon grabbed her hands. "Listen to my words, mo chúis. Feel Nate's heartbeat and try to match his breathing," he spoke softly as I pressed her ear to my chest. I took slow deliberate breaths as he continued to calm her with his words. Her body gradually stopped shaking, but her tears remained.

"Promise me," she sobbed, "Promise me you will save the babies. Victor said he put a shield around them. If I'm trapped, they should still be safe. Have the Queen force a delivery now. Save them." We both stared at her, unable to speak.

I lifted her chin, "I can't do that, mi corazón. You are not going to die and we are not going to be trapped here."

"What do you mean we?" she asked.

"I mean, Brandon is going back to do whatever they must, and I'm staying right here with you. I can't help them - no magic, but I can be here with you. I refuse to let you stay here scared and worried." She started to protest, but I cut her off, crashing my lips against hers. For a moment the world stopped moving, I swear. Her fingers tangled in my hair as I cradled her head, my tongue exploring her mouth. It felt like the entire world was gone and only we remained.

"Holy shit!" Brandon exclaimed, making us pull apart. "Was that what I think that was?"

Nimue's eyes met mine and she cradled my face, "It's you," she whispered softly, tears forming in her eyes. I was confused and saw Brandon drop to his knees, bowing his head. What is going on?

"I don't understand," I said, searching her eyes for an answer.

"It's you, Nate. You're Arthur's descendent." Her words rang in my ears, as I felt light-headed. She held her hand up and I saw that our fingers were intertwined and glowing.

"Wh..what does this mean," I stammered, still staring, wide-eyed at our hands, then back to her eyes. "I'm not even marked, how can I be a king?"

Brandon stood, chuckling, "Don't sell yourself short, Nate. You have the strength of a warrior and the heart of a king. You don't do anything half-ass. I can't believe I didn't see it, but now it makes so much sense." He placed a fist over his heart, "I pledge my sword and shield to you, my King." I shook my head, still not fully believing this was real. "However, we still have immediate matters to attend to. I urge you to return, Nate. I have no desire to risk Nimue, but I also cannot risk you, our future King, if this doesn't work." He looked pained as he spoke.

I pulled her against me, "No. I'm not leaving, and if I really am your King, then I command you to let me stay." Then I lifted her chin, "And you, mi corazón, you are not going to die or be trapped here. You are going to wake soon and those babies will stay safe." She took a breath and I pressed my lips to hers. That same feeling took over, but this time a myriad of visions mixed with it. Images flashed before my eyes, and most didn't make sense - a sword, a boat, a goblet, and a cabin with strange images on the door. My head swam when our kiss broke, and her eyes looked dazed. Trying to clear my thoughts, I told Brandon, "Go back but don't tell them about me yet. They need to focus on the task at hand with Victor. Finding out who I am will only distract them."

He nodded and gave Nimue a quick kiss, "Stay safe you two," then vanished.

"You shouldn't have stayed," she whimpered but didn't pull away from my embrace. "My life isn't worth the risk of yours." Was she insane? How could she think she was worth less than me?

"Nimue, you are worth more than anything in this world. I meant what I said, I love you and I will spend every living moment protecting you." My lips pressed against the top of her head as my hands rubbed along her back. I lifted her in my arms and carried her near the water's edge. Kneeling down with her, I lay on the grass, pulling her against my chest. We didn't speak as we lay there listening to each other's breathing.

A low growling noise caught our attention as we slowly turned toward it. I felt her tense against me when our eyes landed on the creature. It looked like something out of a horror novel - part human, part beast with long clawed hands and feet, its eyes were solid black, and horns protruded from its head. Long white fangs protruded over its bottom lip and its voice was a deep rumbling growl when it spoke. "Imigh ó mo chara. (Get away from my mate.)"

"Victor?" she whispered. My eyes widened. Was this really what he was now? I pulled her behind me as we stood, backing away from him. I could feel the fear rolling off of her.

He leveled his gaze at me and roared, "You are not welcome here. You need to leave."

"Victor, I don't know what happened, but you need to stop. You're scaring our girl, can't you see that?" I tried to reason with him, but he just roared and then laughed.

"Not ours, human. Mine, only mine. Now leave," he growled and I felt a tugging sensation in my body. I tried to keep a hold of her but the next thing I knew I was flat on my back in the healing room, gasping for air.

"What the fuck? Where's Nimue?" Gabe yelled.

"With whatever the fuck Victor is now. He forced me back. We have to help her, now!" I yelled, "He isn't human, he isn't Victor...he's, well I don't understand what the fuck he is. Some kind of animal or demon, but I'm afraid he will hurt her." I saw the panicked looks on their faces as we all tried to find a way back to her. I looked down at her serene face, "I'm so sorry, mi corazón. I promise I won't give up. We will save you."

Brandon's hand landed on my shoulder, "They need to know," he said softly. I shook my head no. This wasn't the time. Besides, it won't matter if we lose her - nothing will matter anymore.

Author's Notes:  Two bombshells in one chapter: Nate is the descendent, and Victor is really, really not human anymore!  Thanks for all your suggestions...I really had planned for Kota, but when several folks suggested Nate, it suddenly clicked for me.  :)

Comment, vote and follow!