Chapter 47

Axel's POV

We all sat around a large table laden with food and drink. "I don't mean to speak for them, but what do we do next?" I asked Jax. "How do we keep Nimue safe from her aunt?" Everyone's conversation came to a halt as all eyes turned to me and Jax.

He cleared his throat, "This really is a conversation that needs to be held for the three of them."

"I realize that, but I also know each of us is involved now - marked or not. The fact that twelve humans sit in the court of Mab, the Faerie Queen, is not lost on me." I slammed my fist down on the table, "That's why we need answers, answers that might not be easy for them to hear."

Mab gave me a wide grin, "Ahh, the mighty Oak. Demanding and controlling as ever. He's right, Jax, they need answers. Her Elder tree might be the only one in the room that has information, and I fear this is limited as well." She brought her cup to her lips, drinking deeply, then asked, "What exactly do you need to know, Axel? Think before you speak, for dealing with Fairies is a tricky business. We always have an agenda even with those we love. Much like with a genie, nothing is given for free."

I paused, what did I risk by seeking my answers, what did any of us risk? I knew what question weighed heavily on me and several others. "If the spell was stopped, will Nimue and the babies be healthy and safe?" I couldn't stop the tears that fell silently as I asked. I felt my brothers place their hands on my arms and shoulders, their eyes filled with their own tears.

Mab's expression softened. "Do the others know?" I simply nodded, unable to speak. "Put your fears to rest, Toma team. She will not lose the children as your once beloved lost yours. The only risk she faces is Delilah trying to steal them. I cannot see the outcome of that circumstance, the path is not set." I think we all let out a collective sigh of relief.

"What else do we need to know to keep her safe?" Owen asked.

"You need to know your powers, your connection to the tree that now flows through your body. You are not just marked, gentlemen, you are part of Avalon's grove forever. When you die, your body will be reclaimed by the very tree that chose you as your soul enters the cauldron awaiting your next life." Her gaze was harsh.

"Libo uchi ikh, libo ne uchi, no ne pugay ikh, starukha," Raven snapped at her. She glared at him making a guttural sound. Something is going on there, but neither of them made a move to explain and Corey looked confused as well.

"Eat and rest," she continued. "Tomorrow you will travel to the edge of the groves and train. I will seek out Cedrela and see if her family can help train you."

"Hey, that's the tree nymph that guided me. Is she part of Faerie?" North asked.

"Tree nymphs are connected to the groves in all realms. They are not bound to any one plane of existence," Jax said, "She came to you when needed, and hopefully she will be willing to help again. No one really has rule over them."

Both he and Mab rose and left the dining hall. Only a handful of fairies remained, refilling our drinks and clearing plates. The group started breaking off in smaller pairs or to seek places to sleep: North with Silas, Sean and Owen, Marc and Victor, Kota and Nate. Raven gave Corey a soft kiss and smiled as Brandon led him away, half asleep to find rooms. "You need to be careful, Axel," he said gruffly. "Old Queen is tricky."

"How do you even know?" I asked him. He fidgeted with his hands and wouldn't look in my eyes for a few moments. "What aren't you telling me, old friend? I've known you since we were teens, Raven. You don't judge people so quickly."

"She warned you. Nothing for free. What are we trading without even knowing it?" He said, fists clenched. "She speaks in riddles, half-truths, cannot trust." The more agitated he became, the more broken his English became.

I put my hand on his arm, "Hey, man, I trust you. Your instincts have saved my life more than once, brother. If you say we need to be careful, then we will be." He seemed to relax a bit at my words. "Go spend some time with Corey, he needs you." We both stood, embraced and then he headed down the way Brandon and Corey had gone shortly before. I stretched my arms and wandered the palace, feeling too restless yet to sleep.

I wandered back towards the healing chambers, feeling drawn to check on her. Mara sat just outside the room, sketchbook in her lap and lost in thought. It took her a few moments to look up finally realizing I was there. "Is everything alright, Oak wielder?" she asked.

"Yeah, I just wanted to check on them, if that's okay," I asked.

Mara looked confused for a moment, then gave a sad smile, "You too." I didn't understand. "You love her, too. She's pulling you to her without even realizing it. It's like you need to be near here, right?"

I nodded and sat in the chair next to her, "Does she know?" I asked.

Mara's face fell, "I don't think she does. To her, I'm just a friend, but to me, she's everything. I knew that season that she wouldn't ever love me the same as I love her, but I can't let go." She slapped her hands over her mouth, "Please, please don't tell her. I don't want to upset her."

I reached out and touched her hand to comfort her, but quickly pulled back. When my skin met hers, it felt like something cold and dangerous. I did my best to hide my reaction, and she didn't let on if she noticed. "I won't say a word, and I'm sorry if this is difficult for you. Watching someone you love fall in love with another is hard."

"Thank you," she smiled, "Just don't turn on the light and lock the door when you leave." She picked up her supplies and walked down the corridor leaving me outside the chamber door.

I hesitated, feeling odd looking in on my friends, but as she said, it was a pull. I needed to see that she was safe, that they all were. I was definitely not prepared to see what I did when the doors opened.

Author's Notes: Please follow, vote and comment.