Chapter 6, Ambush

You're heading towards that big hole?

"Yeah, heard there's som'sort of powerful artifact there"

A powerful artifact?

"Mhm, dunno the specifics but I heard it's some sort of orb of some kind"

Me and Gurban, The Dwarf, have been talking since last night about this and that, which includes what happened around here.

He told me that the mainland, Seralia, is plagued with some sort of insane disease so deadly it killed everything around it. The grass, the trees, the wildlife, and everything were screwed over by the plague.

Every southern nation was decimated into oblivion when it first showed itself in a city called Galan. The nations of the north, east, and west cut off all contact with the southern nation as the plague ravaged them without mercy.

The plague sounded normal to me at first. It was your typical black death going on a killing spree and later some genius will cure it, just how it has always ended up.

Until... he said that the plague bloats up your head to the size of a watermelon and make it go explode. Just when I thought that was horrifying, anyone caught in the explosion also explodes!

And that's not all, even after you kamikaze'd the shit out of everyone around you, you're still very much alive despite your head already being all chunky and mushy on the floor.

You can breathe, feel emotions, think, and most certainly feel pain.

He said that things weren't so bad for the first few days after the Plague was discovered, for the Dwarves that is.

The rest of the races that lived in Seralia got the short end of the stick, with Humans evacuating one city after another and Elves busy trying to supress a horde of of corrupted trees produced by the plague.

The Dwarves were just chiling on their little mountain ranges that bordered the east and west of the Great Elven Forest.

Until... One of the southern Human nation, a nearby Elf tribe, and something about Ordelians?

Whatever that is.

Ambushed a caravan of Undead that seemed to be the source of the plague. The ambush was successful, but it backfired immediately.

Turns out that the undead was the only thing holding it back from going apeshit on everyone around them.

The deterioration and corruption sped up like wildfire, with five times the hordes and variety of the things attacking them.

It contaminated the rivers and with the help of the natural water cycle, it rained from above, and infected most of the southern populace.

Monsters like goblins and orcs turned into unstoppable killing machines strong enough to break and crush a boulder with their bare hands.

The infected monsters then marched towards the nearest nation they could find, a Demon Kingdom known as Rias.

The horde of monsters knock on their borders and crushed city after city and infected more people as it rampages on.

To top it all of, the plague rain also infected the birds too, changing them into flying behemoths that snatch away the Dwarves one by one.

They fought back but for every time they actually shot one down, it exploded into a rain of living flesh mush that will then surround their mountain from all sides.

Luckily, the Labyrinth moved somehow? And because of that, the Dwarves made a last ditch attempt and glided as many dwarves as possible to escape the terror via Labyrinth.