Chapter 8, Sand and Bullets

Ngh... that hurt... that really hurts...!

I turn my back against the ground with my hands tightly gripping the wound on my waist and come face to face with the swarm that's been following me. The number of locusts has decreased judging by the swarms' smaller size.

Looking at them closer, they have a horn poking in the middle of their face, their eyes green, and their body was a dark shade of grey, but above all else, one thing caught my eye.

What the hell is that?

On their abdomen, green pulses seems to be charging up for something. I don't know what that is but I'm not going to fuck around and find out.

I was taking lightsteps backwards but now, I'm going to have to run a marathon with one-fifth of my waist obliterated. As I turn my back against them another loud explosion erupted from behind.

*Pang!*

Not a second later, a grey blur bolted past the side of my face, scratching my horns a little and landed into the sand. They didn't even give the time to think as an onslaught of explosion erupted from their abdomen, launching themselves at me like bullets.

By instinct, I drop down to the sand and have the supposed Bullet Locusts miss me. I cast [Brave] and use the acquired strength to push myself back up and flinch slightly from the wound on my waist.

I deactivate [Brave] and look back at Bullet Locusts who are digging themselves out of the sand while buzzing like flies. Had I tried to fight them head on when they were still numerous I would've turned into a Tyrpophobia nightmare.

Status!

--------------------------
Status:
Lv: 30/40
HP: 80/198
MP: 16/120
-------------------------

That's good, I still have some MP left-

*Pang!*

Another one of them shot right past me, taking another bite of my other waist. I bite my gums in response to the pain and throw a Light Grenade at them. There goes my MP.

I won't be able to use summon claws seeing as my MP's now dry, my normal claws will have to suffice.

Ignoring the pain and putting as much strength as I can muster with both my legs I wobbly run over to them and stab my claw into one of the disoriented Locusts and forcefully dig my claw deeper into the wound. I crush the bug's insides by tightening my grip on it and stomp my leg on its head and rip its guts out.

With my hand now free, I move over to the next locust I can find and see it trying to gather it's surroundings as it frantically wiggle its legs like a cockroach.

The moment it recovered, the first thing it sees is a claw reaching to claw it's eyes out. I crush its eyes and dig my hand into its hard exoskeleton and put one foot on its abdomen and rip the head off. The head throbs lightly and opens with its jaws stuttering before eventually becoming lifeless.

Status!

--------------------------
MP: 16/120
-------------------------

I cast [Summon Claws] and the Locust's head on my hand explode as a long black claw emerges from it.

*Pang!*

Another one of the Locust shoots itself at me which I retaliated with a slash from my claw, cutting it up into three.

That's three down, around seventeen left.

In the distance I can see a few of the locust already getting their act together and fluttering their wings with mouths drooling visciously. I look to my missing left forearm and sigh at how easy it would've been have I had both arms at the start, apparently levelling up and [Heal] can't restore body parts.