The Problem Wasn't Trust (J.B)

Requested by 

Y/N pov

I had planned a date night for Jane and I since we haven't really spent time together since we were married. She has been so tied up in her job that we barely see each other. But we had planned tonight together, and she is an hour late. I had gotten off work early to make her favourite meal. I sat at the table in my dress shirt and slacks with our cold meals on the table drinking the wine I had on the table. I'm not much of a wine drinker but Jane loves it. Even though I am a fire fighter, I still manage to make time for us. After almost 2 and a half hours and a full bottle of red later she finally arrived at home. I watched as she made her way to the fridge without even noticing me sat at the table. 

"Jeez baby, you scared me." She gasped as she turned around and saw me sat in my chair with two untouched meals in front of me. "What's this?" She asked me making me scoff as I got up and threw the plates in the bin. She gave me a WTF look before I went back for my glass of whiskey that I had gotten myself. 

"That was the date that we planned for this evening since both of our work schedules make it hard for us to spend time together. I don't want to come off as the needy wife but I am just going to do it." I started as I turned around to face her with a fresh whiskey. "I thought we needed to spend time together. Just the two of us since we have barely seen each other since the honeymoon and that was almost a year ago."

"I have gotten another case Y/N. I can't help it of my job is time consuming." She spoke tiredly as she rubbed her eyebrow. 

"Seriously Jane. Your job is no different than mine, we both save lives. The only difference is I run into buildings with no questions asked and do you know what I think about every damn time." I spoke as I poured another. "I think about you. I have always thought about you every time since we have been serious. Since I asked you to be my girlfriend. What would it put you through if something was to happen to me." 

"You know that would kill me if anything happened to you baby." She said as she tried to cup my cheek which I just moved away. 

"Do I?" I said before I left the kitchen to go and pack myself a bag. I decided to go and bunk in the on call room at the station because I don't want to talk to her. I left the house without even looking back. 

Jane's pov

It has been a week since Y/N went to stay at the station. I felt truly horrible with how she felt. I never meant for her to feel this way. She is the one person that I have always wanted to make happy. At every lunch time I had I went and got her favourite donuts from Lenny's, she has been obsessed with his donuts and drove to the station. Not caring about my bosses objections. When I walked inside she was stood there in her uniform as she washed the truck.

"Hey baby." I greeted her. She looked over at me before she turned back to do her task. 

"What are you doing here?" She asked as she kept looking at the truck.

"I came to spend lunch with you." I told her softly. "I brought donuts. Your favourite from Lenny's." I told her as I held up the bag. 

"I'm busy right now." She spoke coldly. I must admit that it hurt to hear but I kind of deserve it. 

"I know I screwed up but I am trying to make it up to you." I told her impatiently which was clearly the wrong thing to do.

"Seriously Jane. You forget a date that we organised together. I made sure that I left earlier to get everything set up for it and you just think you can fix it with donuts and a visit at work." She said harshly as I could actually see the pain in her eyes. 

"All units needed, warehouse fire on 59th. All units needed." The comms spoke signalling my time here cut short as they all rushed to get their gear. I have never seen how fast they have to get ready for a job before as they all rushed into the trucks. I reluctantly walked back to my car and back to work. The rest of the week went the exact same. She decided to work back to back shifts since she was staying there. I went everyday that I could whenever I could with flowers, chocolate. Her favourite take out until I had had enough of trying. I stormed into the station to find her in the locker room as the guys vacated it as fast as I walked in.

"You seriously need to grow up Y/N. I am trying my hardest here to get your trust back. Doesn't any of this mean anything to you." I scolded her as she just shook her head. 

"The problem wasn't trust Jane. I trust you with my life. The problem is that you don't think that I am important. Your job is the most important thing in your life and I will always come in second. I literally run into burning buildings here, literally running into any sign of danger and I still manage to make time for you." She spoke bluntly as she stood up after fixing her boots. "I want you to be home some nights so we can have dinner and movie nights like we used to. Even if they sometimes turn into something more. I want the possibility of starting a family with you before one of us gets hurt or killed because let's face it. With both of our jobs it is definitely a possibility." Before she could finish she was called away to another fire. It was graded as a huge one. "Wait for me and we will finished this ok." She spoke as I followed her to the trucks. 

"What. Here?" I asked her confused. 

"If you really want to fix this you would wait here for me. No questions asked if you love me as much as I love you." She said urgently. I pulled her in for a kiss that I have longed before I watched her climb in the truck as they drove off. I was surprised that she let me. I gave my director a message saying that I won't be coming back in today because of feminine problems. I sat and waited in the station until,

"We need EMT's on sight immediately. There is numerous casualties including some of our own." The comms echoed through as I watched the EMT's leave with their sirens on. I got in my car and followed them with my sirens on. When I made it there I was afraid of what had happened to Y/N. But luckily it didn't take me long to find her getting in a truck. 

"I thought you were going to wait at the station?" She asked me with a confused look. 

"I heard the comms and when I heard that some of our own have been injured I immediately came." I told her as I pulled her in for a tight hug. I heard her wince which made me pull away from her. "Are you ok?" I asked her concerned as she just smiled at me. "What?" I asked her again when she wouldn't answer my question. 

"It's just your so cute when you worry." She smiled making me chuckle. 

"Well are you ok?" I asked her again. 

"I'm ok just a little sore but nothing too serious." She spoke calmly. I pulled her in for a kiss before resting my forehead on hers. 

"Please don't ever make me worry like that again. I wouldn't survive if I lost you." I whispered as she smiled. 

"I love you Jane." She whispered as she kissed me again.

"I love you more and I promise to be more present in our plans. I'm sorry that I let it get this far." I told her as she held me close. 

"It's ok, we're gonna be ok." She whispered making me smile.

AN

Another Jane Banner one shot. let me know what you guys think. Also thank you all for 1m reads on my other Lizzie/wanda one shot book. I can't thank you guys enough for the support you have given me. You are all truly awesome. I love you all 3000 <3