56

When the Patronus of James Potter appeared inside the Potter Manor, Delilah knew that the order was aware of Peter's betrayal

When the Patronus of James Potter appeared inside the Potter Manor, Delilah knew that the order was aware of Peter's betrayal. According to James' Patronus, Peter had disappeared from the house of their two dear friends and was nowhere to be seen.

Delilah turned to the guys as her eyes stung with tears from the death of Marls and Dorcas. She wasn't particularly close with the girls, but she used to hang out with her brother, so she saw the girls and had plenty of fun and interesting conversations with them.

She was losing too many people too quickly, she was not enjoying the feeling of loss at all, now they are people that she knows but isn't that close to, what if someday it is her parents? Or Lily? Her brother and the marauders?

Only that single thought was making her shiver as she wiped her tears with the back of her sleeve. Her next words came out in a mix of determination and desperation.

"We need to find the Horcruxes now before they find Peter and before Peter rats them out to him, I refuse to lose someone else."

Her mind drifted to Monica, how she wished she could also run away, travel to Brazil or France or Australia, how she longed to just go find her best friend, hug her, tell her everything, but she knew that Monica didn't want the wizarding world, Monica always dreamt of a life far away from London, somewhere in the countryside.

Delilah was the first-person Monica told; she was leaving. Delilah remembers being so happy for her friend when she finally told her she found a place in France. Monica didn't have anyone except for them here, and Delilah understood that even though they were a family Monica needed a fresh start, she had helped her pack everything, and even though they exchanged letters weekly, it was not the same.

Delilah knew that she should have told Monica, but she couldn't find it in herself to ruin this for Monica, she knew that Monica was finally happy. She wrote that specific letter many times, but she could never send it, she simply couldn't do it.

Snapping her out of her thoughts of Monica was Regulus, "Pack a bag, potions, cloaks, weapons, whatever you think is useful, we leave as quickly as possible."

"Leaving? Where are you going?" Evan knew the answer, he just didn't exactly agree with his friends going on a mission that could end with them dead.

"You can't just go! What about the Dark Lord huh? We still have meetings, we are still participating in battles, and you can't just disappear! And you Delilah? What about your family? What are you going to say to them? James? Your parents? You can't just get up and leave!"

Regulus could sense Leo's anxiety from the other end of the couch, where he was sitting beside Delilah, his arm around her shoulders, as she played with the hem of her skirt.

"Leo, mate, we are the only people that know how to stop him, we are prepared, we have potions and weapons and we have been studying spells and curses for a while, we know it is dangerous, believe me, you think I'm not scared? Do you think I'm not terrified of me dying? Or of Delilah dying? Or if something happens to you while I'm away? I'm scared Leo, just like all of us, but if we do succeed in this we could leave," Regulus' voice cracked at the end, emotion slipping out with his words.