I love you... 3000 // chapter 56

~I'm gonna throw in a little time jump :) ~

You open up your eyes to a bright light shining above you. "Good morning Grandma." Natalia, your granddaughter says. "Morning darling." You reply, happy to see Tara's only daughter Natalia sitting next to your bed. "I thought I'd cheer up the place before you woke up for your birthday today." Natalia says. "Thank you sweetheart." You say grabbing her hand and holding it for a little while. "The kids are very excited for to see you again tonight!" Natalia says happily. Yes you read that right, you're a great grandmother now. "I'm so happy to see the little ones again. It's been to long." You say thinking of your great grandchildren. "Where did you leave your mom by the way?" You ask. "Well she's getting all the stuff ready for tonight, so we can celebrate your birthday." Natalia explains...

Later that night you're surrounded by your family, Tara, your granddaughter Natalia, her husband and your great grandchildren Stevie and Billy. "We brought some old photoalbums you made. We thought you'd might like to look through them again." Natalia's husband Rick said. "Oh I'd love to! Scoot in sweethearts." You say to Stevie and Billy, who scoot in next to you on the bed. "Who are they Grandma?" Stevie asks pointing to a picture of you holding a little baby. "That's your grandma and me sweetheart. She was so cute wasn't she?" You say and the kids nod. "Was?" Tara asks with a chuckle. "Sorry honey you're still cute." You say laughing. "And who's that?" Billy asks pointing to a picture of you and Bradley. "That's Bradley. He was my best friend, since high school, but sadly he's not with us anymore." You say tracing your finger over the old picture of you having fun with Bradley. Oh how you've missed talking to him and listening to his stupid jokes. "And who's that?" Billy asks pointing to a picture of Steve and Tara. "That was grandma Tara's dad. He was the sweetest man in the whole world. Very funny too." You say and the kids look at all the pictures in awe. 

After flipping another page you see her, the one person you have been missing for a while now, Sarah. "Who's that grandma?" Stevie asks. "That's my wife, Sarah." You say admiring the cute photo of you holding Natalia after she was just born and Sarah sitting next to you, looking at her granddaughter with admiration. "She looks very sweet." Billy says. "Oh she was and she was very funny too. There was never a day that I didn't laugh my ass of when I was with her." You say, making the kids laugh. 

While looking through all these pictures memories came flooding your mind, like the first time Tara got a crush in high school and she came to talk to you. Or when Tara announced that she was pregnant with Natalia. Natalia's first kicks. Tara giving birth to Natalia. Dancing through the room with Natalia, like you used to do with Tara when she was little. Natalia saying grandma for the first time when she was playing with Sarah and afterwards Sarah was almost crying of happy tears. "She called me grandma." You can still remember the look on her face, the pure joy and bliss. 

As you're looking through the pictures you remember all the people you've lost, Sarah, your mother, Tyler, Steve, your dad, Bradley, Lana. But then you think of the ones you've gained. One day, which will be sooner than later, you will join them again. Because a year ago they found a tumor that has now spread through out your body. You were never scared to die, but didn't look forward to the pain... oh and your hair falling out. That's something you still complain about to this day. Tara and Natalia know you don't have a long time ahead of you and so do you. The last couple of days have been hard to get through, but you really wanted to celebrate your 78th birthday with everyone, since it was probably going to be your last. 

"Are you tired?" Tara asks and you nod. "A little." You reply and the kids get up from the bed and get ready to leave. Once Natalia, her husband and the kids left, you release a big breath. "Baby." You say grabbing Tara's hand and Tara comes closer to you. "I think it's time." You say with a soft smile. "No you're just tired. That's all." Tara says, tears brimming her eyes already, knowing that this day was gonna come soon. "I'm sorry sweetheart. I tried to keep my body going for today, but I don't think I can go for much longer." You say and Tara calls the doctor to your room. 

"Can I be alone with her please?" You ask the doctor and he leaves you two for the time being. "I'm not ready for you to leave yet." Tara admits crying, while sitting next to you, holding your hand. "I'll be okay and so will you. You'll have Natalia, Stevie and Billy to keep you busy." You say squeezing her hand softly. "I just can't imagine how I will survive without you." She admits. "You will. You're a strong, kind and funny woman and the best mother in the whole universe. You'll have enough years ahead of you that you're gonna spend with your daughter and grandchildren." You say. "I could have never done all that without you tho. If someone taught me how to be a mom it's you. I still don't understand how you did it. I know dad raised me too, but you had no one else who taught you how to be a mom." Tara says. "You don't need to be taught how to be a mom. The love for your child gives you enough motivation to want to do the right thing while raising them. And the love I have for you is never ending sweetheart... One day we'll meet again... Now come and cuddle with me." You say with a chuckle, your eyes getting heavier as you speak. Tara let's go of your hand and walks to the other side of the bed. "Hey where are you going?" You ask. "You've held me all of my life. Now it's my turn to hold you and make you feel safe." Tara says crawling on the bed behind you, holding you close. "Can you play our playlist?" You ask Tara and she puts on a playlist that you made of songs that you used to dance to with Tara. 'I can't smile without you' by Barry Manilow starts playing. You close your eyes for a while, the heaviness becoming to strong for you.

Tara's POV:

Tara sings along to the song as she's stroking your arm. The song still playing in the background. After a minute or two she feels your body going more and more limp. "Thank you for everything. I love you mom...3000." Tara sobs as she feels you slipping away from her. More tears escaping her eyes as you breathe your final breath, knowing that it's your time to rest now...

Back to your POV:

Once you open your eyes again it's like your having a dream. "Wanna dance bestie." You hear Tyler say, who's standing in front of you, while the song continues to play. "Ofcourse." You say taking his hand, smiling at the friend who you've missed for to long. "Really guys without me." You hear Bradley say as he wraps his arms around you. Dancing with your two bestfriends like no time has passed...

"Now it's my turn." You hear a familiar voice say. It was your mothers' voice. "Hello sweetheart." She says hugging you. "I'm so proud of my little girl." She says and you cry into her arms. "We've missed you too you know." Steve and your dad say in unison. Before you know it, you're surrounded by all your friends and family, but one person was missing. 

After looking around for a while, you hear a voice behind you. "Looking for me darling?" The familiar voice asks. "Sarah!" You almost yell when turning around and running towards her. "I've been waiting for you my love." Sarah says as you fall into her embrace. "And I've been waiting to do this as well." Sarah says as the other dissapear around you and the rooms turns into your wedding venue. "Wanna dance darling?" Sarah asks as the same song, that you danced to on your wedding night, starts playing. Slowly dancing together, not saying anything once again, just you and Sarah. "I love you mom... 3000." You hear Tara's voice say as you sway slowly with your wife. The music gradually fading away as yours and Sarah's steps become slower. 

"Let's go home darling." She says, giving you a kiss before everything fades away...

The end... Thank you to everyone who read this story, eventho it always took me a long time to update haha. I hope you guys liked this story! I loved writing it and finally after 4 years it's finished haha. Let me know what you thought about this story, like I said before I love talking with you guys! <3