Chapter 74

It was quiet inside the big SUV as I twirled my ring on my finger. Was this a new nervous habit I was developing? I quickly stopped and opened my phone back up.

*Thank you for Marsh, I probably would have been trampled. I miss you so much already it hurts :(*

As I hit the send button, I rested my head on the back of the seat. The familiar streets were comforting but it was also a reminder that Harry was nowhere near me. I loved being in love but at the same time it felt sort of impossible. How did relationships survive long distances? I knew I was lucky to have Harry but at the same time was this actually going to work? My overanalyzing mind was irritating me and I was tired.

I distracted myself with my phone and called Laurie.

"Hey sweetie, on your way?"

"Yea, I'll be home in about twenty minutes. Harry set me up with security so I didn't need to get a cab."

"Well shit, lucky you!! I'll see you soon!"

I put my phone back in my bag and watched New York City pass by until I felt the car stop and I saw the entrance to my apartment. Marsh quickly grabbed my bags, helped me out, and led me to my front door which I unlocked with him over my shoulder.

"Here is my contact information. I have your work schedule emailed to me so I will be here to take you to and from work. Mr. Styles informed me that any other time you leave to please call and I will escort you. Any time of the day or night. We will be in touch, Ms. Emerson."

With a quick turn, he was gone and I was greeted by Laurie.

"Rowan!!"

I was crushed under her hug and had to take a step back as to not fall over. "Hey, Laur. I missed you."

"I missed you too, dude. Come, come. I want details." I followed her to our living room and sat down. I hesitantly gave her my left hand. Her eyes grew wide as she took in the ring.

"Shut. Up," she said grabbing my hand and pulling it closer to her face.

"It's just a promise ring."

"Holy shit, Row. It's gorgeous. Wait, why don't you sound enthused about all this? There is something off here."

I looked down at the ring and sniffed back tears.

"Row, what? Tell me."

"I-I am so so happy but...I just don't see how all this is going to work..."

"What do you mean? He made a promise to basically marry you one day and who wouldn't want that from someone like him? Well, he isn't my type but you know what I mean."