Chapter 118

The traffic was brutal in the city getting back home. It was a rainy, tourist filled Saturday and all I wanted was to get back home. I looked down at my hands clenching my now watered down coffee. It was hot inside the taxi and my sweatshirt made me feel suffocated.

"This is fine. I can walk the rest of the way."

The driver made eye contact with me in the mirror, pulled over, and told me the fare. I handed him the money and got out. The rain was still falling but it was softer now. I threw the coffee away and pulled my sweatshirt off. I was close enough to home to where I didn't need to rush or worry. The rain felt good on my hot face. Reaching my door, I quickly went inside and locked it. It was quiet and dark inside. Laurie was still out with Alec as I flipped on light switches. I went into the fridge and grabbed a water before going into my bedroom. I turned on my bedside lamp and took off the wet gray tank top. As I was about to grab my towel, my phone lit up. I slowly walked over to it and saw one missed call and a voicemail. I picked up it up and opened the voicemail. It was from six minutes ago.

I slowly lifted it to my ear and let it hover without touching.

"Rowan...please. I know that was you. I just want to talk to you. Look, I-I have been trying to remember that night...all I remember are your eyes...looking at me like I was...was...scum. God, I just want to talk to you...I understand if you don't ever speak to me again. I'll leave you alone if I don't hear from you by tonight..."

The voice I heard on the other end made me fall back on my bed. It was raspy and quiet. I replayed it a few times to understand what he was saying. My tears fell as I contemplated what to do. I heard my phone fall from my bed but I paid no mind.  I have a Bachelor's Degree, I have all honors, I was on the dean's list at NYU, I had an awesome job in New York City...but this, this I couldn't figure it out. I couldn't figure out whether or not to call Harry?

"God, why am I acting so stupid. I just need to CALL HARRY."

"Calling Harry." I heard the robotic voice coming from my phone.

"Shit, shit, shit." I said, springing up from my bed and almost falling off my bed. I tried to grab my phone but it had already rang twice.

"Rowan?" I heard his voice from the phone.

Ok. This was something somewhere telling me to talk to him. I needed to just do this. I picked up the phone with trembling hand.

"H-hi."

"Oh my God, Rowan. I've been calling you for weeks. Please, we haven't talked about any of this. God, I wish I could remember what happened."

I didn't say anything.

"Rowan? Are-are you there?"

"Y-yea. Yes, I'm here."

We sat on the phone, waiting for the other to say something.