Chapter 107

I heard voices but they were muffled. I didn't want to open my eyes open yet. I moved my hand that had been resting on my chest to my side and felt an arm hit my hand. I pulled back my arm and instantly regretted it when I felt the shooting pain in my wrist. I let out a groan and squeezed my eyes tighter. Damn, that hurt.

"Ms. Emerson?"

I opened my eyes and saw the outline of Marsh. I nodded knowing it was time to go. Marsh helped me get up but I felt dizzy and wanted to throw up. I knew Harry was there because from the corner of my eye I saw him sitting in the chair opposite my bed and talking into his cell phone but I tuned him out. I made no motion to look in his direction either. I had my back to Harry as Marsh helped me get up. I had no idea where any of my things were but I did know I had to use the bathroom and now. Without opening my mouth, I pointed to the bathroom. Marsh helped me inside and closed the door for me. I was terrified to look in the mirror. After about fifteen minutes of sitting then actually going with it hurting then getting myself back up, there was a knock.

"I'm fine. Just give me a minute."

I placed both my hands on the sides of the sink and took a deep breath. I slowly let it out as I looked up. I let out a small gasp when I looked up and saw what was looking back at me. Whoever she was had a black and blue left eye, a deep cut across the bridge of her nose, a cut on her bottom lip, and tiny cuts and bruises littered her chest. I lifted my hospital gown and more bruises and cuts made their home on my ribs and my stomach and legs. I gasped again when I looked back in the mirror. I started crying again even though it was painful. I grabbed my right side and it felt like I had broken ribs. I probably did. What had I done to myself?

There was another knock and upon me not answering, Marsh quickly opened the door and rushed inside. "Ms. Emerson? Are you alright? Do you need me to call the doctor in?"

I shook my head. "W-what did I do?"

Marsh took a deep breath before he opened his mouth to answer. "All that matters is that you are alive."

"Marsh. Tell me."

He took another breath before answering again. "Well, when you hit the telephone pole you were going very fast which caused the windshield to shatter and the broken ribs are from the airbags hitting you. You weren't wearing your seatbelt either so you got tossed around when you made impact which is where the other bruises or cuts come from. The doctor is surprised you didn't have any broken bones. You sprained your wrist too which is why that's wrapped up."

I looked down at my right wrist and it was tightly wrapped and had a small air cast on it. I wanted to laugh. I wanted to cry. I wanted to crawl into a hole and never come back out. I didn't want to leave that hospital bathroom either because I knew he was out there somewhere.

"Tell him to leave. Please."

Marsh looked at me and then outside the door to where I guess he was listening. Marsh looked back at me again before walking out the bathroom. I closed my eyes and groaned. I wanted to scream actually but I knew it would hurt too badly. I went to rub my face but remembered halfway through that it wasn't really my face right now. I looked back in the mirror. How was I going to fly on a plane looking like this? I looked awful.