Chapter 117

My fingers drummed on my bedside table as I let the phone fall back to its dark screen. My leg was bouncing up and down. I felt like I had some kind of weird tick while debating whether to pick up my phone again. I finally got up and walked into the kitchen. I looked around and walked back into my bedroom and looked at my dark screen from my doorframe. I felt crazy. I shook my head and walked away from my phone. No. I needed to get past this. I needed to get past him. If he didn't cheat, great but that didn't mean I didn't lose myself. My life revolved too much around him and it was making me go insane.

But Harry added to my life...he didn't take away from it. He added laugher and love and wittiness. I lost myself in him and it scared me not knowing who I was anymore. I wish I knew how to not get so wrapped up in him but who could blame me? He had some kind of force field on me and I was getting dragged back to him. As I sat down on my couch, pondering what I should do, my phone started ringing. I jumped up and ran into my bedroom as safely as I could. I grabbed my phone and saw that it was work. My heart dropped a little. I wished it was someone else.

"Hello?"

"Rowan, dear, how are you doing?"

"Fine, Marc. How are you?"

"Good, good. Listen, take all the time you need to get better. I'm just calling to tell you that you don't need to rush back here."

"Oh, thanks. I was hoping I could come back Monday," I said, remembering that it was Saturday now and I couldn't last another day inside this apartment.

"Monday?"

"Yea...is that ok?"

"S-sure. Are you ok with coming back that fast?"

"Yes. Trust me. I need to get out of this house."

"Alright. Well, we will see you Monday."

"Great. Thanks."

I hung up the phone and looked back down at it. I needed to get out of the house. I needed a distraction. Good thing I live in New York City. I went over to my newly organized closet and grabbed a pair of leggings, a loosely fitting grey tank top and starting changing. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go but I figured I would just start walking and let the sights steer me. I wrapped a sweatshirt around my waist because the summer storms here were sometimes unpredictable. I grabbed my sunglasses and the Ireland baseball hat, and walked into the kitchen where Laurie was drinking a cup of coffee.

"Going for a walk."

Laurie looked me up and down and smiled. "Be careful."

I nodded and turned towards the front door. I laced up my running shoes, put my headphones in, and slipped outside. The NYC humidity hit me like a ton of bricks. I turned my face down and walked towards the city. Thankfully, there were no cameras waiting and I easily slipped into the mass of people in the city. I decided to be a tourist and walk through Times Square. It was one of my favorite places in the world and it was oddly calming with all the people and noises around me. My iPod was on shuffle as Ellie Goulding's song, Explosion, hit my eardrums. I sat down on the famous ruby red stairs as the sun went behind a cloud. I looked up and the sky was getting darker.

I walked down the stairs and went inside the nearest Starbucks and got in line. I knew the sky was about to open up and spill rain so this was the next best thing. I patiently waited in line while I watched business people, fashionistas, tourists, and NYC residents enter and exit the coffee shop. I ordered my usual drink and grabbed it when I heard my name being called. I found a seat in the corner against the front window and sipped my sweet coffee. I watched as the first raindrops fell and people scurried to get indoors. I slipped my sunglasses off and watched the rain steadily fall now. I rested my head on my hand as I continued drinking my coffee.

What happened next was almost unbelievable.

I watched as a black SUV parked directly in my view on the curb. It switched its four ways on as the driver got out of the truck. It wasn't Marsh. I took a small breath. But it was the same guard that dropped off the mysterious envelope. I watched as he opened an umbrella for the passenger in the back. I watched, and now not breathing at all, long ringed fingers pull themselves out of the car. His face was behind sunglasses and he had on a brown hat, placed perfectly on his head. He had on his tight black jeans and a black t shirt. I squinted and saw a small cut on the left side of his lips. His tattoos shown bright against the moody New York sky.

Was this really happening right now?

He looked in my direction but I wasn't sure if he was actually looking at me. I couldn't tell with his sunglasses. I dipped my head down but realized I was wearing the baseball hat he probably got me in Ireland. I pulled my head back up and he was still standing there, staring at me. Fuck, fuck, fuck. As I was about to try and get up, people around me were getting closer to get a better view of the celebrity. I looked back to Harry and he was nearing the glass between us. The raindrops were streaking his clothes and his face. I watched as he took off his sunglasses and took a step closer. He was at arm's length now. He knew it was me.

We both watched the other with the glass between us. Just as he was about to open his mouth, a crowd of people, cameras, and guards swept him back towards the SUV. I watched as he tried to fight through them and get back to me. People around me were noticing this now and were turning to face me, giving me strange looks. My eyes didn't leave Harry's. I wanted to run outside and jump in his arms but I couldn't. I grabbed my coffee and pushed through the people. I needed to get out of here. I spotted a side door and ran to it. I pushed it back and was hit with a wave of raindrops falling fast. I untied my sweatshirt and slipped it on. Thankfully, there was a waiting cab as I dodged inside. I quickly told the driver my address and we pulled off into the thunderstorm.

I looked back and saw the crowd of people was getting bigger in front of the Starbucks. I couldn't see him anymore. I turned back and let my head fall back on the seat. I finally took a breath.

(What just happened?? Comment and vote for the double update today! xoxo)