Chapter 127

"Ms. Emerson, why is my nephew leaving?"

I halted as I almost ran into Marc. "Oh, um, he needed some air. Venue talk has him all worked up, I guess."

Marc eyed me suspiciously but turned towards the rest of the employees were I just noticed were all present and accounted for. 

"Alright, everyone, with much consideration we have finally chosen 'our candidate for LA! She has grown with the company for almost seven years now and we all are going to miss her but please give a warm round of congratulations to Blair Lukac!" 

Everyone started applauding for the slender, brunette M&G employee. Blair was practically the VP for M&G so it was no surprise. I've never spoken to her much but she was always nice when we did. I felt my arm being pulled back and I turned to see Maddy. 

"Dude, what happened?" She was frantically whispering. 

"Oh my God, it was horrible. Meredith said that Harry forced himself on her so now Graysen wants to pretty much kill Harry," I whispered back. Blair was making a small speech now and I didn't want to be rude but I couldn't contain my mouth. 

"Wow. But Harry didn't-"

"No, Harry would never do that. Meredith is certifiably insane. That's why he left just now." 

"What-what are you going to do now? You should probably call Harry so he knows what's going on." 

"The last time Harry and I talked he was drunk and annoying."

"But he should know what Meredith is saying about him. Rowan, he deserves to know." 

She was right. I fidgeted with my phone that I had conveniently in my hand. 

"Fine. He should be sober. It is noon." 

Maddy nodded. I walked towards the back of the office and away from everyone applauding and hugging Blair. My hands shook as I found his number and hit send. It rang a few times and I was losing hope when I heard it click on. 

"Hello?" 

"Harry, listen to me, this is going to sound kind of strange but Graysen is dating Meredith. They've been dating for years and she is lying about what happened in Ireland. She told Graysen you forced yourself on her and now Graysen is furious. Look, I know you and I aren't speaking but I wanted you to know what your model friend is saying about you. Do what you want with the information but I figured you should know." 

"Woah, slow down. What are talking about?" 

His voice was like heaven. A cure for all my ailing. A warm cup of coffee on a cold NYC day. Focus, Rowan.

"Look, the guy you think is my boyfriend, which he isn't, is dating Meredith. They've been dating for a long time and I told Graysen what happened in Ireland and he didn't believe me so he confronted her. She made up some bullshit story about you forcing yourself on her and now he is furious." 

"But I didn't force myself on her...I wouldn't do that..." 

"I know, Harry, which is why I'm calling. You need to know what she is saying." 

The other line was quiet for a few minutes. "Harry?" 

"Yea-yea. I'm here. Sorry, I-I just don't know why she would say that." 

"Because she is a liar. You've got to stay away from her and Graysen." 

"Why wouldn't she tell me about him? We just had dinner last night together."

 My heart sunk as my blood boiled but I held my tongue. Harry and I weren't together. He could do whatever he wanted. 

"Wait, last night?" 

"Yea." 

"Graysen said she cancelled on him last night at dinner because of work. Wow, she lied to him so she could have dinner with you." 

"You were with Graysen last night?" \

Well, for dinner but then when I told him about Meredith he kicked me out of his apartment-"

"You-you were at his apartment?" 

Oh, shit. "Harry, Graysen and I are just friends like I already told you before. Besides, he is so in love with Meredith that he will obviously believe anything she says." 

"But you two were alone...in his apartment." 

"Harry, stop. The point of my phone call is let you know what dinner pal is saying about you." 

"Ok...thanks." 

"Um, sure." 

We sat on the phone not saying anything for a few moments. 

"Well, bye." 

"Bye." I clicked my phone off and let out a frustrated groan. 

"So, what did he say?" Asked Maddy, coming up behind me. 

"Nothing really. He was more concerned I was at Graysen's apartment." 

"So strange. He didn't care what she was saying?" 

"He kind of did but apparently they had dinner last night." 

"Ew. That's heinous." I nodded in agreement. It was time to fake my sickness and go home. I had enough of people for the day. After telling Maddy I was going home with a fever, I slipped out the back and was met with the hot NYC air.