Chapter 4: A Learning Experience

~November 4th~

  The nightly wind blows through your hair as you find yourself looking from the balcony at the rest of Sleepy Hollow. The city looked so peaceful at night, with a hint of creepiness and unsettling for what could be lurking beneath the mists.

  Thinking about all that you've lost by coming here and how your old life was pretty much forfeit, you hoped the cost of your mother's survival was well worth it.

  The Raven that Morrigan gave you landed next to you on the balcony. Staring at you with a tilted head. You lightly reach your hand to the black bird and stroke its head. The bird leans into your touch, letting out satisfied chirps from the attention.

???: Can't sleep?

  You lightly turn back to see Aleera. Her red nightgown lightly blowing in the wind, along with her long, undone, messy red hair. In any other circumstances, you'd admit she was drop-dead gorgeous. But right now, your heart was still weighed with sadness.

Y/N: No. I can't.

  Aleera leans against you, wrapping her arms around your waist and pressing her lips against your neck. Lightly kissing you as she purrs.

Aleera: Anything I can do to ease your troubled mind?

Y/N: No.

  Your blatant response disheartened her a bit. But she continued to hold onto you.

Aleera: (Y/N), I can read your thoughts. I know what's wrong with you. You miss home, your family, your friends, your old way of life.

Y/N: Then why'd you ask if you could just read my thoughts?

Aleera: Because I wanted to hear it from you. Like a human would.

  You soften up in her grasp as you turn around to look at her.

Y/N: It doesn't help that your sister doesn't like me.

Aleera: Marishka is the more complicated of us. Verona will love you once she returns. But for now, I want to get to know you. So tell me about you. And no, I don't want to read your mind to find out. I want you to be open enough to tell me.

Y/N: You just read my mind to get that answer.

Aleera: . . . I won't read it from here on out.

  You turn your head to stare back at the city.

Y/N: I'm not all that hard. I'm just a Van Helsing. That's the most unique thing about me.

  Aleera tightens her grasp on you, holding you closer to her cold body.

Aleera: Where's all that energy you had when we first met? What happened to the boy who "Has never lost a fight to man, nor fucking beast."

Y/N: He got humbled by a certain attractive vampire woman after she beat the shit out of him, and could seemingly do it whenever she wants. She doesn't even look me in the eyes when we speak and ignores me completely.

  Aleera leaned in planting light kisses on your face.

Aleera: Don't take it personally, my love. That's how she shows that she likes you. I'm surprised she didn't take it further in breaking you. Normally, you'd be dead or at least close to it, especially with you being a Van Helsing. She'll come around, but that's not all that troubles you is it? You feel as though you've been robbed of your purpose, ues? No more monster hunting in a place filled with monsters. Didn't need to read your mind for that.

Y/N: Right on the money. In all honesty. You'd might as well just kill me. I can't see myself doing anything fulfilling here.

Aleera: You mean being my husband isn't enough?