Chapter 37: Who is (Y/N) Van Helsing?

You sat in Jekyll's office with a cup of tea to calm yourself. You sat in the office, with a more somber expression. You felt safe around Jekyll, like he really could understand what you went through.

Jekyll: You feeling any better?

Y/N: . . . No. . . I cannot. . . I can't live anymore.

Jekyll: So you've said. I have noticed that you have been acting differently. No secret you've been pushing everyone away. You scorned the sisters, you hurt your friends, even wounded your love. But I know when a man is truly trying to force away all those around him. But you, you are not serious.. 

  He noticed your face as tears of blood dripped down your cheeks. You gripped the cup as you wanted to stand up and leave, but Jekyll stops you.

Jekyll: It's been a year. You need to free yourself of these shackles.

Y/N: You know I can't.

Jekyll: Why not?

Y/N: It's Carmilla! She has her fangs deep in my brain. So deep that she won't even let me kill myself. She won't allow me to live in peace, nor will she allow me to die in peace. 

  Jekyll listens to you as you continue to sob your bloody tears.

Y/N: I pushed everyone away, so they won't be bothered when I die. They can forget me easier that way.

Jekyll: Noble reasoning. But selfish. You are robbing yourself of any joy, and robbing the others of. Well, you. I see the pain it causes you. You feel it in your chest, your insides twisting as if they are trying to tie themselves into knots.

  You look back up at Jekyll. You know he's been trying to help you through this. He started off as your doctor, but if you had to have a father, he fits the bill for that. Which is why you couldn't find it in your heart to try to force him away, but you never tell him that. Which is why your pushing away of Morrigan cut you deeply as well. But you tried to manage the pain, all too unsuccessfully.

Y/N: Dr. Jekyll. What happened with you. You seem to know a lot about inner monsters. About running from your pain. So, what happened to make you so insightful on this matter.

  Jekyll adjusted his glasses as he let out a sigh. He stands up looking out the window of the office.

Jekyll: When I was younger, and human. I was praised for my intelligence in medical science. But I had a problem. As I was in college, I had heard of monsters and the hunters who hunted them. But, the real monster in mankind's society, was man itself. I've travelled the world and have experienced both the salt of the earth, and the evil's of human kind. So I came up with an idea. A science experiment to remove the evil of a man, splitting it from their good side.

Y/N: . . . Are you serious? D-Did it work?

Jekyll: It did. For a time. I had no one to test it on. But I figured that since it was my responsibility, I took the formula myself. IT worked, for a time. But I did not take into account, my evil side taking it's own form in my body. You know me as Henry Jekyll. But this darker side of me was known as Edward Hyde.

  You listened to his story on baited breath. It seemed to distract you from your own pain.

Jekyll: Hyde and I couldn't be more different. While I was the mild mannered scientist, Hyde was twisted and evil. He did not have any concern for anyone other than himself. He'd even take control by force eventually. It was like fighting a powerful demon that I had created. While in my pursuit, I had lost myself to him, even the woman I loved. Lisa. I did not want her to be hurt, I did not want her to be dragged down with me. So I secluded myself, away from my friends, my love, my family, hiding. Hence why he was named Mr. Hyde.