Chapter 42: Down

After meeting Suzume, you were a bit confused at first as to her reasoning for being here. When you first saw her, you took her for some cold woman. But now, you sat in her apartment, which she just moved into last night, and is now drinking tea with her.

Suzume: Which do you prefer? Gyokuro, Green, Bancha?

Y/N: Oh, I'm not really picky. I'll have whatever's on.

  She nods as she prepares the tea. Adjusting her glasses as she gets the cups ready. She lets out a grunt as she holds her chest a bit.

Suzume: Ah, damn. 

Y/N: You're injured?

Suzume: Yes, sadly, not all hunters can heal as fast as the monsters we hunt. But then again, you'd know. Right?

  You narrow your eyes at her as she places a cup in front of you. She sits down as she holds the cup with her gloved hands. She blows on her tea a bit before taking a sip. She smiled as her green eyes landed on yours.

Suzume: So, I must know. Where is Rachel Van-

Y/N: She's dead. . . She died last year, during the holiday season. 

Suzume: My apologies. I can only imagine what it is like.

  You look back at her.

Y/N: So, may I ask something?

Suzume: Yes, I did ask you a question, so, you may ask, then I will answer. Then I will ask, and you will answer. Understood?

Y/N: Yes.

Suzume: See? A question for a question.

  You look at her as you think over some questions in your mind. It was obvious of you to ask about her mission, but you recalled her asking about something strange happening last night. Could it be about the tape? Possibly. But you wanted to know more about her. After all, even if she seemed slightly passive aggressive. You enjoyed talking to her, a pretty face after so long. Not that Claire wasn't pretty, but this one was actually human. When was it you last spoke to a human, besides Sean of course.

Y/N: What was it like for you? To be a bastard in your clan?

  Her eyes widened a bit as she chuckled to herself.

Suzume: Hmm, well, that was not what I expected. But, if you must know, pretty shit. It wasn't all mochi and sweets. Now, I must ask. . . Hmm.

  Suzume really wanted to ask you about any strange events, but she also was curious to one thing about you.

Suzume: Why did you become a monster? 

Y/N: . . . I was. . . dying. I didn't want to at first, but. . . I was lost, weak, as a human I couldn't do anything, but now. . . Well. There's a lot I can do now. . . Even if you think I'm a monster, I can assure you, I will not harm a human. . . Not to offend. But in your culture, your clan was more traditional. How did you end up becoming a hunter?

Suzume: That is a good question. The answer? I decided for myself what I wanted to be. I've had people decide for me, so I took control, and in it, I became what I wanted.

  You both stare into one another's eyes as you both can get a good look at one another's character through this vision. rom your perspective, you saw her eyes seemed empty. Even if she tried to mask it behind a somewhat relaxed and sarcastic attitude. You could tell she really wasn't like that at all. 

  From her perspective, she saw that there was nothing in your eyes either. No fire of passion, no love, no inspiration, just hollow loneliness. 

Suzume: Now I ask, did you receive or find anything strange last night?