Chapter 9: Taking Action

The sun was setting as you arrived back at the manor, going back to your room. You laid in your bead, spinning the barrel of your pepperbox, you haven't shot it in some time, you miss the days you'd be out hunting monsters and beasts of other calibers. Though the fight you had with Marishka made you think about your life in a way. How each monster, some at least were once human. You never thought you'd be in this city of monsters, having a monster as your close friend, and then another monster as your lover. If anyone in your family knew, especially your mother, then they would lose their mind.

Y/N: 'But, even if I did go back, I realize now that I am not as strong as they are. I can't even fight Aleera or Marishka, and Verona is much stronger than they are presumably. How was Abraham able to kill Dracula at all? Can a man overcome a monster like that? Or in my case, can a boy overcome any at all. Were all my other kills just dumb luck? Or were they that weak in comparison.'

  The constant clicking of your pepper box filled your ears like a metronome. You were unsure how to view life. Any boy would leap at the opportunity of being surrounded by powerful women, one who loves you, one who cares enough about you to not kill you, and the other who showers you with gifts out of seemingly nowhere, but is still scary as hell. 

  Then your thoughts returned to Robin.

Y/N: 'I thought he'd be more irritating. But he makes me realize how dark I really am. I found him irritating at first, and even thought about killing him before. But then he had to be nice, and that damn smile. That sweet damn smile of his.'

Y/N: 'Was I wrong my whole life? Maybe, even in the most wicked of beings, there is maybe at least a glint of kindness? Hmm

Y/N: 'Was I wrong my whole life? Maybe, even in the most wicked of beings, there is maybe at least a glint of kindness? Hmm. But that doesn't erase that there is pure evil that has to be dealt with. But where is the evil, if not in this city of monsters? Am I even needed anymore?'

  While you were in thought, you heard tapping at your window, it was the raven. You opened it as it flew around your room, before landing on your shoulder.

Y/N: Pesky little creature of death. Why not bother someone else.

  While that thought crossed your mind, you had an idea. Going to your desk, you take a black feather, dip it in ink and write it on the parchment. rolling it up into a small scroll, you tie it to the birds leg.

Y/N: Go and give that to Robin. He shouldn't be fast asleep just yet.

  The raven caws as it flies out of the window. You lay back on your bed just staring at the ceiling. Though your thoughts ran on in your mind. You were so very curious, but summed those thoughts up to amounting to nothing. Sitting in your bed until the dark hours role in.

Y/N: Mayhaps I've lost my edge? Maybe all I am destined for in life is a vampire's concubine. . . Maybe, my days of hunting are truly behind me?

???: I wouldn't say all that darling.

  Your heart skips a beat as you leap up and see Verona standing over the edge of your bed looking down at you. Her eyes were the only thing you could make out in the dark room.