》Chapter Two.

EDITED BY: _rose

I comb my hair and raise my head to meet the reflection in the mirror.

This girl is so different from the one that used to tiptoe in her parents' bedroom to steal her mother's clothes and wear them just to amuse her.

There's not much life inside of her lately, just a little spark that she is desperately trying to keep alive.

This job is my chance to get a future, I can't mess it up just because my body is strangely weak under the blow of my fears.

How hard could it be to clean floors, dust furniture and polish a house? I do it every day, it will not be that different and I'm sure I will get the hang of it sooner than I think.

I force myself to finish my make-up, taking all the time I need to get presentable: I braid my hair and wear a plain shirt with dark jeans and boots, nothing that will make me look like I'm trying to take over the house or ask for something more than an employment.

'' Jade?'' My mum asks from the bottom of the staircase and I tug some strands behind my ears before smiling widely down at her.

'' I made breakfast.'' She explains to me almost afraid of what I could answer to that. I simply shrug and let one of my arm around her neck before dragging her closer to kiss both of her cheeks. She's a few inches shorter than me and this makes me feel so desperately protective towards her even if I know the last thing she needs is protection, she's a stubborn, proud and independent woman who can do basically everything she decides to.

'' Thanks, mom.''

We sit at the table, opposite from each other, and start chewing our meal. I mechanically swallow every fork because I'm too nervous and preoccupied to really enjoy the surely delicious food my mother has prepared.

'' Jade.'' She begins, placing her chin over her crossed hands. ''You look troubled. What is going on in that pretty mind of yours, love?''

I rip a piece of bread and shove it into my mouth just to gain some time.

'' Nothing mom I promise. Just tired.''

'' I'm sorry.'' She then blurts out and my heart jumps against my ribcage; that nasty feeling of being powerless again overwhelms me as she adds,'' You shouldn't be doing this. I should be able to take care of your College and every other need you may have on my own. I'm so sorry-''

'' Mom. I'm not mad at you, okay? I'm so happy to be finally able to repay all the hard work you have done for me and I'm proud that I'm doing something for myself as well.''

My mum raises her brown eyes to me and I notice she's on the verge of tears.

'' Plus, you know cleaning houses and being someone else's slave has always been my secret vocation, do you?''

'' Oh Jay.'' In a heartbeat, I find her arms around squeezing me so hard every bad thought flies away. Her spring scent fills my lungs and I forget about my fears, feeling so brave that I dare myself not to be scared any longer.

Whatever happens today, I will get that job and cling to it with all I have.

''Everything will pay you back someday. I believe in you and I know today you're gonna charm everyone.''

My mom messes my hair tenderly before placing a sweet peck at the top of my head.

"I know you're scared. I can tell, I've been watching over you for too long not to notice. I want you to remember that, whatever happens, you have to stay true to yourself. People will try to change you, to make you become someone you're not, you don't have to let them. Don't ever be afraid or ashamed of who you are. I know you Jade. I know who you are, don't ever forget it, baby girl. You're powerful, you're good and you're kind.'' She then lets me cup her hands while she kisses my temples.