》Chapter Three.

Edited by: _rose

The week has been stressful.

I have gone up and down the place, dusting everything in sight, polishing every object and vacuuming every room. Each time one of my task was completed, Missus Alice would pop out of nowhere and call someone to redo my work.

The more I tried, the more she acted like I was a pain in her ass. I have this weird feeling that Miss Alice is letting me do more work than I should because of my not really polite manners. I haven't seen either Mr. Styles nor his family, they seem like ghosts in this huge place. I wonder for whom Missus Alice makes breakfast every morning.

Louis disappears the moment we step in, like this house could swallow his tiny figure with one bite and vomit him out when I have to go back home. So I pretty much find myself stumbling alone in this unwelcoming place with anyone but enemies.

I am fluffing up a pillow in the living room and some dust gets straight into my nostrils. I try to prevent it from happen, I cringe my nose and curl it, rubbing my palm on the surface but it's just not enough. I erupt in a loud sniff and lose my balance for the already not really stable position my heels put me into. I fall on my backside, hitting the tea table with my shoulders.

In the room there are just a few people and they all turn to look at me like I've just committed a crime. I blush heavily for the embarrassment.

'' I'm alright.'' I blurt out breaking the silence again only that this time, no one cares about my statement. '' Thanks for asking.''

It's just the first week and it's the hardest, if I break now all my efforts will be worth nothing.

Suddenly though, I catch someone whispering my name trying to get my attention. I glance from my shoulder only to find Louis hidden behind the door frame, waving his hands. I need to talk to Louis, to see his face and let go of some of the frustration and anger I am feeling.

As soon as I'm out of the room, Louis grabs me by my forearms and drags me at his side, two steps away from the door and he pushes me into a dark corner, right under the staircase that leads on the third-floor.

'' Missus Alice have blathered about you all day non-stop, are you okay? How is it going?'' He abruptly states and I sigh, letting my head fall so that I can look at my feet and avoid seeing the disappointment in his eyes.

'' I don't really know Louis, I think this will be my first and also last week.'' I exhale feeling like my dream is getting away from me day by day.

'' Bullshit!'' Louis utters a little bit too loud and two maids that were walking by, turn to look. Louis widely smiles at them and waves, casually leaning against the wall to cover me from their gaze; as soon as they are out of sight he goes:

'' You listen up, young girl. Today wasn't your lucky day. It happens sometimes and everybody knows that. Next time you will make it better. You just need to get used to the rhythm. Don't bring yourself down for nothing, Missus Alice can be a little harsh at first, however, she is not heartless believe me.'' I hit the wall with my head and puff loudly.

'' I'm not meant for this. I'm no perfect housewife or any other dumb thing those people think they are. I am a book lover and manuscripts are the only thing I like to dust!'' I desperately try to make Louis see there's no way out of this, but as stubborn as he is, Louis just shakes his head and raises his thumb up to my face.

'' Nonsense, little Jade. You just hold on for a while longer. Missus Alice always complains, in fact half of the people here have been called dumb, or useless or even helpless ducks; She just called you a clumsy disoriented smurf..''