》Chapter Sixty-Two

Edited by: _rose

Harry's Pov.

" How far are we, again? We need to go pressing charge to the police."

We've been walking a long way from Jade's house to this abandoned mine, getting so deep into the woods, the sun can barely be seen. Everything seems made of screaming colours: bright orange, dark green and blood red. Jade would love this, the nature, the trees, the little squirrels. I know she'd be obsessed with this and probably wouldn't shut about it for days.

But she's not here and I feel like my body is ruled by a ghost, leaving every bit of me numb and barely under my control. I've been keeping the pieces together, just because I need everything I have to rescue her. I need Jade so bad. I didn't know how much until now.

" Nobody is doing anything without my consent. And no cops." Finn rolls his eyes and pouts like a big baby.

"Who said you are the leader here?" I can feel Louis venom piercing my back, but I let it slide.

" I elected myself. Think of me as a Machiavelli's prince of some sort." Louis curls his nose, probably not knowing who this prince is, clearly not with me in the slightest.

At a certain point, the trees are not that many anymore. It looks like something terrible happened and they tried to run away, afraid of getting any closer to the dark hole on the opposite side.

It's majestic, grim and the lack of vegetation throws over the rocks a ghostly air.

" This place is creepy." Finn mumbles while squeezing himself inside his jacket as he almost trips over his own feet.

"We should go to the police guys. Whatever this is, it's bigger than us."

Normally, I would follow the advice. I mean, if somebody gets kidnapped you automatically go to the police. Finn was left alone near an abandoned place waiting for the tide to drawn him and a part of me knows that if we found him, it's because they wanted us to. I'm afraid we won't be that lucky if we get the cops to help us and honestly, I can't risk it this time because Jade's life is at stake and there's no way in earth or heavens, that I'll let anything happen to her.

" I told you, Finn. Stop blathering  uncalled advices and start looking around." Louis kneels  on the arid ground, carefully tracing lines with the tips of his fingers, deep in his thoughts. I keep a close eye on him because he's the only one who can be really helpful and I'm positive he didn't tell us everything he knows.

" God I haven't visited this place in so long." He eventually blurts out so faintly, I barely can make out the words. His eyes are iced and distant, almost matching the stormy weather above us. I can't imagine how it must feel like to be him, to be in love with somebody you loved and protected your whole life only to see them go away with a stranger. I don't blame him for hating me, I hate him too for having all those memories of Jade. I blame him for not putting Jade above everything because he thought it was natural she would have fallen for him.

He took her for granted and who takes the person who loves for granted, doesn't deserve love.

" You came here often?"

" Oh no. Only sometimes when Jade's father would invite us. We would sit behind that oak and eat lunch together. Jade would tie her hair in two pigtails, wear her little red bandana and the overalls her father loved so much, so we could all pretend to be having a funny day at her father's farm. " Louis stops, not feeling comfortable with sharing so much with us and falls into an echoing silence of memories. 

" I can't imagine Jade with pigtails."

" Oh, she was a wonder." I catch a sad, barely visible smile at the corner of his lips as he stands.

" The entrance is blocked. Do you know if there's any other way?"

Louis shakes his head and points to the collapsed beams on the side of the hole. " I told you. They just cleared the way to get the bodies and then closed it up with boulders so that nobody else could get hurt."

" What happened to the owner?"

" The owner?"

" Yeah, you know.. The one who paid the employees and got all the benefit of a mine."

" I honestly don't know. Never bothered to ask."

Is it possible there's no record of this? No information about this disaster? Why is my instinct telling me that this is where everything begun? Too many black holes in this story and they all lead to this place.

" I  may know someone who can help us finding it out." I say remembering a friend of mine who I got in contact with a few years ago when Karen disappeared. He was the one who told me she didn't want to be found.

***

Jade's Pov.

Drops. One after the other like a distorted melancholic song, they fall on the ground echoing.

I move my hands, but they are stuck. I feel my wrists starting to burn as I struggle to get free. I can't see anything, something is on my eyes. I'm cold and terribly scared. I've been unconscious for god knows how long and all this silence is driving me nuts.

" Hello??" I call but my voice gets lost in the darkness. I can't smell anything peculiar beside humidity and what seems like moss. I use my fingers to touch myself, to see if anything is out of the ordinary, my breath prevents me from hearing clearly so I force myself to calm down. I recall a voice talking to me before the lights went out. Somebody put something on my mouth that had a very strong smell like ammonia and then I felt my legs going weak. I don't recall touching the pavement, just slipping into a tunnel and then waking up here.

My legs are untied, so I stand up taking a moment to find my balance and start walking. The craziest thing is, I've walked in dark rooms, I did that all the time when I was a little girl and never once was I scared. This time though, I'm shaking so much and it's messing with my judgment and self-control. I can't focus, I can't seem to find any solution because my heart is screaming, like something bad is about to happen.

" Is anyone here?" I shiver, suppressing the lump in my throat as I advance another step, before hitting my head against metal bars.

" No, no." I hesitantly move along the bars until I realize I'm trapped. It's a cage. They put me in a fucking cage!

" You might as well take off the bandage, little dove."