》Chapter Seven.

Edited by: _rose

****

By lunch time I sit down and wait for Louis to come joining me. I still can't forgive myself for what I've done and I'm sure Harry - I mean Mr. Harry - doesn't need any affections, especially from a simple servant.

When Louis finally comes, it's almost time to get on my feet and go back to work. He sweetly caresses the top of my head while falling into the chair next to mine and I hear Missus Alice clearing her throat, causing Louis to retract his comforting touch.

''Jade, come this way. There's something new I want you to do.'' My face lights up in excitement so she continues '' How much do you know about gardening, Jade?''

''I can manage, ma'am. My mother taught me some of her secrets when I was little.''

''There are some plants in the maze that need to be watered. The gardener has got a cold, he was supposed to be here a hour ago but he can't make it so I'm forced to entrust them to you.''

''There is no one else?'' I dare to say and she fully spins around to face me directly. I shouldn't have asked, should I?

''Believe me, if there was, I wouldn't be risking the safety of one of the most important gardens of all England by handing it to you.'' I lower my head and let her lead the way.

''Follow the indications and don't get lost. I expect you back by 2.p.m. No one will come and rescue if you wonder around.... this time.'' I suck in breath and stare at her bewildered.

She knows. Missus Alice knows what happened with Harry was my fault. She turns on her heels and elegantly makes her way back to the house. I inhale a long breath to calm myself and get rid of the redness in my cheeks, promising something to myself: I will be careful and keep my curiosity at bay. I have wanted to get in touch with those beautiful flowers since the day I first got here, I don't want to ruin this chance. I touch some petals and smell some others plants before finally getting to the destination.

My mother used to tell me that whenever she felt upset or angry, she would get out and put her hands in the dirty soil. Feeling how it  would crumble under her fingers, gave her the sensation of being again in control of her emotions.

I finish watering the beautiful pink Lilies and move to the other side where poppies are shyly growing, next to orange Dahlias, when I hear a little barking from far away. I stop what I'm doing and tune in to listen closely. Nothing seems to break the returned peace, probably I'm just hallucinating, it wouldn't be the first time. Therefore, I step a little forward and start eradicate some bad grass.

Again, I hear another similar noise. I let the watering can next to the tulips and clean my uniform while picking up the maps and adventuring a bit more into the maze.

'' Where are you?'' I shout to God knows who. There's just one way to understand if I'm right or wrong, I need to climb to have a better view so I dig my fingers deep into the hedge of a green wall and start climbing up. Once I'm finally at the top, after some little scratches and some cuts, I scan the place once, twice, starting to believe I have truly made up the noise, which I believe is a dog's cry.

Eventually, I spot something moving into a small bush, only its tail visible from this distance. I fix my skirt and crawl on the hedge till I reach the far end of it, then I jump, almost losing my balance.

'' Hold on! I swear I'm almost there!'' My fingers are red and bruised by the time I climb out of the maze and run to the rose garden that encloses a tiny house. It clearly isn't an uninhabited place, but I don't have time to go wonder in there, I barely have time to fix the mess the dog got himself into and join Missus Alice before she thinks I've failed her again. The dog's cry is restless and I hurry to its side in order to help. I place a hand over its back and I hear it barking loudly in answer for my unwanted touch so I retract my palm.

'' Okay, sorry. I won't touch you again.'' I promise, suddenly regretting it. I have to take him out of this bush filled with sharp thorns and I have no clue how.

'' How did you end up stuck in here? What were you thinking?" I scold him and start to part the branches, careful not to let any thorn get into its skin. I use both of my arms to make my way into the bush, feeling some thorns penetrating my skin. I cringe when the dog suddenly tries to get away and ends up pushing my limb straight against a branch. I suffocate a scream and apply a little more strength to give him more room to move and eventually escape.

'' It's okay boy. I gotcha ya, I swear.''

Once it is finally free, I slide out too and fall to the ground, my uniform is completely ruined with cuts and holes over my arm-length. The dog is still whining and growling like he's in pain and I catch him stumbling with one paw up, like he can't manage to let it touch the ground because the second he tries, a heart-breaking sob escapes his jaws.

'' Okay, C'mon here kid. I know, it hurts.'' It's enormous, with big dark eyes and scary soft paws. One of them looks like it's twice the size of my hand, maybe even three times. It's fluffy though and his long dark, brown fur, that becomes white right near its chest, making its look so warm and comfortable.

''I've bloody thrown myself into a rosebush for you. I deserve not only a little of love from you, but your complete trust. Now stop moving and let me clean you up.'' I get rid of all the twigs and the thorns, gaining some deep growl every time I pinch him, yeah i just found out it's a him, because I can't reach the splinter with my short nails. When I cause him pain, he snaps his head and encloses his fangs around my wrist after carefully licking the sore spot. He doesn't hurt me whenever he bites me; it's more of a warning than a real action. Despite the little trip into the woods, his fur is still soft and perfumed meaning that whoever owns this big friend, takes good care of him.

Then where is his owner? I say to myself raising my eyes from the furred animal and starting to wondering around. Who could possibly live this close and have him adventuring so deep into the Styles' house without anyone noticing it?

Then it hit me, a little too late maybe.

'" Roy!" I hear the command loud and clear coming from my right and I freeze in my place, slightly scared of being caught doing something I shouldn't  exactly doing because I'm pretty sure I know who the voice I heard belongs to. 

***

thank you for voting and leaving lovely comments about this story, it's so nice to see you are still reading my stories and to those who just got on board, I love you too, please stay tune, it's gonna be fun.

I don't know if this chapter makes any sense, it's the most boring and stupid I've written so far, but I couldn't make it any better...so.. enjoy as much as you can :D.