》Chapter Sixty-One

Edited by: _rose

Harry's POV.

The way my fists knock on the doorframe making it trembling but not crumbling, gives me a bad feeling. Actually, I have it since I left Jade's room. I fear something really bad is going to happen to her and I can't seem to shake it off. I shrug and go downstairs, asking the concierge if he has seen Karen. The man tells me she hasn't seen her in days and that is unusual but  the room has been paid for another week, so he doesn't know.

I thank him and walk into the cold winter breeze squeezing myself inside my coat. No matter how hard I try, the back of my neck is dead frozen, a constant reminder that something is off.

I take out my phone and dial Karen's number, which goes straight to voicemail.

Where could she be? I need to find her and put an end to this farce.

I guess I'll just go check on Jade and beg her to let me sleeping with her. I don't feel okay after leaving her alone, it cost me a lot to walked out of that door. The thought of her on herself while a bunch of psychos are roaming the street striking all around the people she loves, gives me chills. It's like they want her to wait for her turn.

I hop in my car and turn the heat all the way up. My mind can't find rest; I keep thinking about Jade. Flashes of terrible scenarios are all lining up in front of me the second I blink. I shake my head and try to focus on something else, like Karen.

The messages sound a lot like something she would say, yet the kidnapping, Jade's encounter in the gardens, the oven. They don't blend with her princess personality, still.. Is it possible that I hurt her so much she would seek revenge in the bloodiest way?

And then there's the fact that she's not working alone. The guy I encountered in the gardens that day wasn't particularly tall, his voice was foreign, I'm sure I haven't seen him before.

Once again I step outside the car and head to Jade's dorm.

Kidnapping someone is a serious business, you either are not afraid of the consequences or you know, you won't get caught. The latter is more likely, but this leads me to another question.. Who's this powerful that is not afraid to get in trouble?

The most important question is, why Jade? Why these people hate her so much? She is an ordinary girl, hot and terrifically beautiful yes, but not the type of girl you could hold a grudge like this. She's like a tiny kitten, and everybody loves kittens.

I knock a couple of times before noticing that the door is already unlocked and partially opened. It's like somebody has thrown an ice bucket on me out of the blue. I rush inside, my lungs can't stretch, my heart is tangled in a deadly hug as I stumble around.

She can't be gone, perhaps she's checking on that friend of hers.

So I try at Finnon's place, the boy is in his boxers, hair all over his face as he tries to give a name to my face.

" Harry?" I push past him and check the room.

" Where's Jade?" I shout instead of asking, causing him to freeze on the spot.

" Jade? Wasn't she with you?" No, she wasn't. This is all my fault.

" Check her room again. Perhaps she went to the bathroom."

I nod and storm out, running towards her dorm again.

" I know I shouldn't have left you." I mumble as I fall to my knees right in front of her smashed lamp. That's why I wasn't feeling okay. That's why I couldn't shake off the sensation something bad was about to happen.

Jade's phone is under the bed, half hidden. I unlock it, you'd think, given how smart she is, that she'd put a password on it, not a chance. She's so damn naïve I bet she let her kidnappers sitting down for a tea.

"What are you doing?" Her friend followed me. Great.

"Calling for backups, we need to find her as soon as possible."

" I hope you mean cops, because this just got out of hand. I'm going to the police tomorrow to report everything." I roll my eyes at his nonsense and breath out as the dull ring stops.

"Tomlinson, how may I help you?"

"Cut the crap, Jade is gone."

"Who the hell are you and what is that supposed to mean-"

"I'm Harry, this is her phone-" Now it's his turn to cut me off, making me very anxious.

" I know it's her number, what the hell have you done to her? Where the fuck were you?" I cringe and squeeze the phone, cracking the display a little more with the result that my fingers start to bleed.

Finnon takes the phone out of my hands and gives me a very judgy glare. I know this is not the time, but what else am I supposed to do?

" We don't need this. We need to find Jade. You're Louis, I assume?" I can't hear what he says, i only see Finnon's face turning to a very annoyed one and I open my arms in frustration, as to say I told you so.

" She was in her room, in a college dorm. If she got kidnapped that person was already in the room when Harry dropped her off. Do you know where she could be?" Another moment of silence. Now, even Finn is walking up and down the room.

" You check at her mother's, we go looking around here. Call us if you find her, please. And for the love of God, cut the crap already. Nobody likes a know-it-all. " This said, he hangs up and ties his robe.

" Give me a minute. I need to go changing and then we start searching." I see him getting closer, placing his palms on my shoulders as I look anywhere but his face.

" Harry." I can't seem to avoid him any longer so I surrender." She's a smart girl, we'll find her." I nod and just blow my nose.

***

We  have spent hours looking for Jade, I searched literally every inch of Oxford but nothing.

So we decide to head to Newcastle where we meet with Louis, he looks like a mess but then again, don't we all? He invites us in his room with his roommate snoring in the other room.

" Give me your laptop." I demand and Louis carefully stares at me from over his shoulder as he throws himself powerless into the nearest chair.

Eventually, he points to the desk at the far corner of the apartment and I go sitting there, opening the browser.

" What are you going to do?"

" What I do best, researching. And since you volunteered, start telling me what you know about Jade's father?" He looks so done with me, but this is the only idea I can come up with so I need to follow my gut and going to the bottom of the matter.

" Why do you care? You can't possibly think that this has anything to do with her kidnapping? Her father's death was an accident!" He's red in the face, but I can't seem to care.

" It's the only blank spot that I see in this story and I need to fill the gap. So I suggest you start singing, dearie." Louis seems very sceptical about this, nevertheless, he knows we don't have much to work on at the very moment, and everything is better than doing nothing.

"He died in the mine he used to work in, along with other fifty men."

" How exactly?"

" The floor just collapsed on their heads, I don't know much. After it happened, nobody ever spoke about it." Now this is interesting..

" What does this have to do with finding Jade, again?"

" Everything!" I state turning the screen towards him. " Look, not even a fucking article about it. I searched on the library archive, nothing. It's like everything got quiet that day and you'll agree with me it's unusual."

" It is. But how is this going to help us?" Finn jumps in and I stand, feeling a bit more conscious than before.

" This is where we start looking."