》Chapter Fifty-Seven

Edited by: _rose

I've been running up and down this place for what feels like an eternity and I haven't sit a moment. I can't even remember how it feels not to have your feet killing you and my head hurts. The funny thing is that all these hours of preparations will end in fifty minutes, just the time for those girls to make an appearance and leave.

Harry is nowhere to be seen and I'm glad, because I don't know what I'd do if he shows up. I'm kind on the edge to be honest.

" Jade, make sure to check the glasses are spotless, please." Missus Alice peeks inside the kitchen and I nod, already doing what she asked.

" Good girl." I smile at that and pass a hand over my forehead, feeling kind of dizzy.

" It's starting." I hear one of the waitress saying as she takes a glance outside. I adjust my tie and my skirt, re-doing my hair and my so called make up.

" Jade!" I exit the kitchen and find Missus Alice looking around for me. I clean my throat and make my presence known. She takes a long breath of relief and places a tray with champagne glasses over my shaking palms.

" Upstairs. God knows those little swans need a little encouragement." As soon as my back is to her, I roll my eyes. I mean this is just too much, it's not they're scarifying themselves to save the country. They're gonna walk a damn  staircase in a fine dress while everybody carefully scrutinizes every inch of them, to pick the most suitable one. And if we want to be even more honest, their appearance will not make any difference, they'll just pick the richest and get done with it.

I raise my tray over my head as I make way up and find the room where all the debutants are, ready to basically being sold.

Don't they have a bit of self respect? Goddamit.

" Is everybody ready?" A snobby lady says.

" Penelope's partner is missing." A blondie in a very complicated chignon blurts out and my eyes move in the back while I stroll among the 'Swans' helping her with their drinks.

" What do you mean missing?" The snobby lady growls, exasperate. " Is even something working for this ceremony?" I want to giggle at that, they truly think this is a life-death situation.

" it's not a big deal, I can walk alone, you know? It's 2017, women can marry other women and have kids without a dick." The lady raises her finger widening her eyes to the girl and I hear her scoffing. I try to get close, very curious about the scene and almost drop the glasses when I see who the girl is.

" You must be out of your mind!" the blondie exclaim, gaping with her hands on each side of her mouth.

" Luckily for us, it's not up to you, we'll find him or get you somebody else. End of the story." Snobby lady explores the room and suddenly her bony cheekbones point at me, freezing me in my place.

" You, come here." I carefully comply and gulp down when me and Penelope's eyes meet. She recognizes me almost immediately and her mouth spreads in a wide smile, causing me to mimic her expression unconsciously.

" Yes, Ma'am?" I'm trying my best to be as charming as possible, believe me, but that woman scares the living shit out of me.

" We need you to go find this young man." She hands me a picture and pushes me out of the room closing the door harshly behind me.

I raise the photograph and almost have a heart attack. Oh dear lord, are you having fun torturing me?

The door soon clicks again and Penelope steps out, still warmingly smiling at me.
" Jade!" she comes and hugs me tightly.

" Piper.." I rub my free hand on her back before moving away. " I can't believe you're here. Where are your tattoos and piercings?" She waves at me and helps me get rid of the tray.

" Long story, baby. C'mon I'll hep you finding that asshole of Edward." I'm still mesmerized by how innocent she looks with her tattoos covered in what I believe is foundation. She's embraced in a very vaporous white dress and white gloves. Her hair is up, her dark eyes is the only thing out-key in her pure appearance. They clearly scream devil, while she is dressed like an angel.

" You know Edward?" I ask and she wraps her arm around mine as we walk down.

" Yes, he's a family friend and my mother thinks we are gonna be so cute together!" She squeak imitating her mother's voice, I figure.
" Where can he be?" She wonders and I don't answer. I don't know if I want for Harry to be found, because this will mean he'll have to walk. Piper is just his type, beautiful, rebel and tremendously independent. If he ever gets the chance, he probably gonna pick her over me. After all who wouldn't? She's funny and terribly charming.

" I hate all of this." She scratches the edge of her gloves like they're hitching.

" Why are you doing it then? It's so.."

" Unlike me? Oh darling you have no idea, I mean. I don't even like boys." We get to the bottom of the stairs and then we head to the servant's quarters.

" I'm doing it because my grandmother required me to. She's dying" She explains and I feel so stupid for judging her poorly.

" I'm sorry." It's the only thing I manage to say, but she just shrugs her shoulders.

" People die all the time, Jade. I just want to do something nice for her so that I won't torment myself. You see, I haven't been the perfect grandchild and I wanted to make it up for all the girls I brought home, I guess."

I nod  and keep searching for Harry but something hits me hard and I freeze on the spot.

" Oh dear Lord. You're gay!" She giggles hard, I suppose for my eyes out of my face, and I recover almost immediately.

" I don't mean to judge you, please don't take it the wrong way. I'm just surprised.."

" Which makes me realize you're not into my same bowl of cereals, correct?" I shake my head light hearted.

" Shame. You really are my type." She jokes and hits my hip with hers.

Some weird noise irrupts into the place and a metallic voice says " Ladies and gentleman, the ball is about to begin. We invite you to take your place where dinner will be served in just a few moments."

If she's gay then Harry is jeopardizing his future for nothing. I feel like shit for the mess I created. I most luckily destroyed Harry's dream and Piper's desire to help .. Oh dear god what have I done?

" I thik we might want to rush our research." Piper suggests and I don't answer. Instead I take two steps at the times and head to the only place I know Harry will be.

" Where are you running off?" Her breath is short and she can't keep up with that fluffy dress.

" Luckily I wore my Ferrari's." I look puzzled and she raises her gown showing me her black boots, which makes me feel so lucky to even know a person like Piper. She's so fresh and nice, she's not even real.
I knock in the music room and don't wait for a response.

" Edward! Come to mama" Piper jokes and I giggle only to stop when I find Harry sited in a dark corner with a bottle of what looks like Vodka in his hands. Oh shit.

He's totally wasted and there will be no avocado omelet to save us this time.