》Chapter Twenty-Seven.

EDITED BY: _Rose

I step into the kitchen and press a palm over my mouth to reduce the exhalation of smoke.

It takes me a moment to see the flames raising from the oven and grabbing the tiny extinguisher my mum always keeps on the wall. I cough a couple of times before noticing Harry and my mum on the floor. I run towards the windows, rushing to open them and also the little door, so that air can circulate better. I kneel before Harry and my mom's bodies, jerking them up to have a response.

''Mum, mum. Open your eyes.'' I beg and she blinks, clearing her throat while she sits confusingly looking around.

''What happened?'' She inquires taking in the hopeless condition of our kitchen. I shake my head and point to Harry, signalling her there's something else we need to take care of first.

''Oh, kid. Kid...can you hear me?'' My mum vigorously shakes Harry by the shoulder. Harry doesn't move, so I grab his arm pointing to my mother to take the other one.

''We need to take him out.'' I state and my mum complies as we both use all the energy we have to trail him into the backyard.

''Harry?'' I cry out pressing a hand on his cheek then leaning in to rest my ear over his chest. The beating of his heart is so weak, I can barely hear it, but it's there and it helps me take a long breath of relief. He just fainted. He's fine.

''I'll call the firemen and an ambulance.'' My mum declares after eyeing Harry and disappearing inside to find the phone. Roy pops out from the curtain of smoke and comes to me, licking Harry's face to wake him up. Harry gasps and snaps forward breathless. I help him staying still by pressing a hand over his shoulder but startle a moment after. There's a huge sore spot that covers almost all his back and I glare at it stunned. The first thing he does, is cupping one of my cheeks tightly while trying to compose himself.

''Jade..'' his rocky voice breaks my heart as he says my name ''Are you okay?''

I just hug him, risking to make him falling backwards. I stroke some strands of his hair and kiss his cheek again and again till Harry finally returns the gestures. I hear him exhaling in victory as he buries his nose into the crook of my neck. I don't know what to say or do, I'm so speechless and surprised by how brave and selfless Harry has been.

''I'm fine.'' he murmurs, kissing my head. ''Don't start crying please, I'm just dizzy and numb, I'll be okay in a moment.'' He reassures me, however he doesn't see what I see.. he hasn't noticed the huge burn over his whole back. He can't know that. I do and it's hurting me knowing he put himself in danger because I asked him to help me.

''The ambulance is here.'' My mum starts and I awkwardly move away from Harry to stand, pretending I haven't been caught in a pretty intimate hug with Harry.

''Harry, are you hurt anywhere?'' She inquires with her dark eyes fixed on him in concern. Harry pushes himself up by resting his hand on his knee and I clearly see the aching in his back. It must be sore and stinging a lot. Two male nurses get closer to us and I immediately point towards Harry.

''He got his skin burnt, please help him first.''

We move in the living room and sit on the couch as the firemen start working in the kitchen to clean the mess.

''What happened?'' I ask my mom and I can see how bad it makes her feel, I can see the sadness, the guiltiness.

''I was trying to find the pot-holders when Harry walked in. The oven was already fuming with dark smoke intoxicating the room but you know me Jade, it's not the first time I forget something on the stove. Harry didn't say a single word, the second I tried to bend down and open it, he snatched the pot-holders from my hands and stared at it for a moment, hesitating. There was a loud pop, something hit the metal inside the oven and the last thing I remember was Harry pushing me to the ground covering me completely with his body. I'm clumsy, I should have known. That oven is so old. I shouldn't have let Harry get any closer to that. He's such a good boy, I feel so bad for him.''