8. The Farm

Danielle's POV

During Otisis funeral, I kept glancing at Shane. His head was down, his fists clenched. Not even acknowledging Patricia. She asked him what Otis's final words were and he gave this whole speech that he just wanted to save Carl so he sacrificed himself. I call bullshit and from the looks of Daryl and Dale they call bullshit too.

After the service me, Daryl, Rick, Shane, Andrea and Hershel all gathered round the truck discussing our next move for Sophia. "How long she been missing?" Hershel asks Rick. "This will be day three." Rick informs him.

Maggie comes over and rolls out a map on the hood for everyone to look at. "County survey map. Shows terrain and elevation." She says. "This is perfect." Rick starts. "We'll grid the whole area, start searching in teams."

"Not you, not today." Hershel shakes his head at Rick. "You gave three units of blood yesterday." He says before he turns to Shane. "And you with your ankle, you push it now and you'll be laid up for a month. You'll be no good to anyone."

Please Shane, push it.

"Guess that just leaves us." Daryl nudges me as I give him a small smile. "Sis, are you sure you're up for this?" Rick asks and I nod my head. "Imma head back to the creak, work my way from there." Daryl lets us know. "And I'll head west, cover more ground." I say. "Might hike over to the highway. See if she went back." He nods, agreeing with my little plan.

"Alright, tomorrow we start doing this." Rick says. "That means we can't have our people out there with just knives. We need gun training." Shane said.

You didn't need a gun to take out Otis, did you?

"I'd prefer you not to carry guns on my property." Hershel holds Shane's idea. "All due respect..." Shane starts to say but Rick cuts him off. "Shane, we're guests here." He upholsters his python, putting it on top of the hood. Shane gives him a look of 'seriously' before putting his shotgun down.

"Okay first priority set camp, find Sophia." Rick states. "What happens if we find her and she's bit?" Shane questions. "You do what you have to." Rick tells him.

"And what do you tell her mother?" Maggie asks. "The truth." Andrea says. I agree with Andrea but what's bothering me is where is Carol. We're all here planning to look for her but where is she. I don't see her stepping in to look for her own daughter.

I walked to my tent I set up before the funeral to grab my knives and kukri. Making sure they're secure I make my over to Daryl. "You all set?" I ask and he nods. "You be careful out there okay? Mind ya shoulder." He says concerned. "Ahh, you worried about me Dixon?" I tease him and he rolls his eyes at me but I see his lips tilt up.

"Hey Daryl." Rick calls out, making us turn to him. "We got a base now. We can get this search organised." He says. "Ya got a point or we just chattin'?" Daryl asks clearly confused as I am. "My point is it lets you of the hook. You don't owe us anything." Rick tells him and Daryl grunts. "My other plans fell through." and with that he walks off.

******

Next day

"Alright, everyone's getting new search grids." Rick alerts us. "If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might have gone further east." Yesterday Daryl found an abandoned farmhouse yesterday which in it, he found a cupboard that someone had slept in.

Jimmy pops up out of nowhere behind the group. "I'd like to help, I know the area pretty well." He tells us. "Hershel okay with this?" Rick asks, quirking his eyebrow. "Yes." Jimmy answers quickly. "Said I should ask you."