153.

Danielle's POV

I wake to the sound of a baby crying. As soon as Gracie whimpered I woke up. I know my hearing is good but I didn't think it was that good.

Daryl is still fast asleep beside me, his arms wrapped tightly around me as he snores softly. It's been so long since we've been able to sleep like this. I wanted to stay snuggled in the safety of his arms but Gracie whimpers again. When someone doesn't immediately shush her, I climb to my feet, easing Daryl's arms off of me gently.

I push open the nursery door. A breeze flows through the open window and I shiver as the cool air touches my sweaty skin. Tara is sleeping on the bed in the corner. She had helped out around the community earlier but with her injured arm, I don't blame her for not waking.

I step over Liam who's sleeping next to Judith's crib. She is still asleep, her arms raised a above her head as the tiniest snores leave her mouth. Gracie has pulled herself up by the bars and is looking at me with tears steaming down her cheeks. "Hey cutie." I whisper in a sweet voice as I lift her out of the crib.

Her diaper is wet. I find the supplies beneath a makeshift changing table and she quieted once I changed her. I pick her back up and she wraps her small arms around my neck. She buries her head into the crook of my neck as I begin to sway her gently.

I move to the window to look out as I continue to sway her. The tension fades from her small body as she begins to fall back asleep. I feel her body drop as she falls asleep quickly but I don't put her down.

As I sway her, I wonder who will take her on. I know Aaron has been fond of her since he laid his eyes in her. He would make a good dad. Although without Eric, he might find it difficult. But either way, I hope he takes her on because he would be brilliant with her.

I move slowly, keeping my movements as smooth as possible as I lower Gracie back into her crib. She fusses a little and I gently pat her chest. Running a soothing hand back and forth across her little belly. The toddler stretches her chubby little arms over her head and a gentle snore comes from her nose. I snort softly and as I smile down at her as I think of Daryl.

I turn to sneak out of the door back to Daryl, knowing he would be worried if he woke up and I wasn't there. I move slowly and silently as possible. There's nothing in this world that can make me disturb the peace in this nursery.

My hand just reached the doorknob when screaming starts.

Oh, what now?

******

Daryl's POV

I jerk awake as screams echo through the large two story stair case. People are screaming and panicking and Dani is gone. I jump to my feet, snatching up my crossbow, swearing under my breath.

Where the hell is she?

I step up onto the rail and see walkers every where in the crowd where people had been sleeping. I fire a bolt, hitting one in the head. It collapses like a puppet whose strings were cut. But no one else is fighting yet. No one knows what's happening.

Enid and Rosita run up to me breathlessly. "What do we do?" Enid asks, like it isn't goddamn obvious.

I grit my teeth. I'm raw because I don't know where my girl is but it doesn't mean I need to be an asshole. Enid is just a kid.

"Let's-" I start to say as the nursery door opens up behind me. Dani is standing in the door way, a confused look on her face as she sees me with the girls.

I grunt, grabbing Enid and Rosita, shoving them into the room ahead of me. Dani moves back, stumbling over her feet to get out of the way. I slam the door behind me and baby Gracie starts to bawl. Her crying is going to draw walkers straight here.